Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Set up/tuning advice please

In the White
    Thanks

Set up/tuning advice please

Hi

Hoping to pick the combined brains of the group please.

Trying a new set up riser change same limbs.

Grouping fletched great at 20m inside 3" ring

BUT bareshaft goes left by 4 -6 " and knock is left too.

Walkback tuning from 20m to 30 m fletched arrows go 3" right of 20m group

1st looks like stiff arrow or centreshot out
    2nd looks like weak spine or soft plunger

to my simple mind.
    No obvios fletch damage from reset or riser contact.

nock height is spot on bareshaft .

Any guidance please guys ?

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 939 Posts
    The results seem pretty good at 20m so not much wrong.
    4-6" left at 20m could be reduced by an increase in draw weight if there is more adjustment.
    If not, a rise in BH might bring bareshafts closer.
    Arrows moving right at longer distance could be the sight not vertical. If you shoot 20m and 30m on the same sight setting, the sight being off vertical will be eliminated. The 30m group will land lower but should be 6 o'clock below.( not below and to the right.)
    It is difficult to know if the button is too soft, but I would set it stiffer so it is clearly not as soft as a click click pen, for example.
    If you look at your set up, the arrow should be a little off centre to the left, as I guess you know. The sight should be directly above the arrow if your bow string picture is close to the sight aperture at full draw. If the sight is off to the right of the arrow, perhaps that is a sign the button is too soft.

In the White
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffretired View Post
    The results seem pretty good at 20m so not much wrong.
    4-6" left at 20m could be reduced by an increase in draw weight if there is more adjustment.
    If not, a rise in BH might bring bareshafts closer.
    Arrows moving right at longer distance could be the sight not vertical. If you shoot 20m and 30m on the same sight setting, the sight being off vertical will be eliminated. The 30m group will land lower but should be 6 o'clock below.( not below and to the right.)
    It is difficult to know if the button is too soft, but I would set it stiffer so it is clearly not as soft as a click click pen, for example.
    If you look at your set up, the arrow should be a little off centre to the left, as I guess you know. The sight should be directly above the arrow if your bow string picture is close to the sight aperture at full draw. If the sight is off to the right of the arrow, perhaps that is a sign the button is too soft.
    Thanks for the reply

the 20-30m walkback was with same sight setting so not influenced by sight .
    Arrows were lower and to right by about the same distance not drifting further right as I walked back

The limbs are Border hex 6.5 so I am pretty near centre shot as they tend to shoot better at centreshot or a tiny tad outside.

BH is recd at 7 1/2 " . Have tried going up to 8 " with no obvious benefit just a little noisier.

It's the apparent conflict between bareshaft suggesting spine if stiif and the walkback suggesting soft that I am confused by ..

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Back to basics:
    Are the limbs and new riser aligned correctly?
    Is the tiller set correctly?
    Is the brace height within recommended for the limbs?
    Have you adjusted the button for centre shot - the new riser may be fatter/thinner than your old one. If your BH is lower your arrow will be further out from centre, if it's higher the arrow will be closer in (assuming as correctly aligned riser/limbs combination)
    Eyeball the sight track with the string - I stand mine up against a wall and take a photo, it's easier.
    If all those are good there are various reasons for change:
    The new riser could be a little longer - 25" is not a fixed standard and a longer complete bow will mean lower poundage.
    Where are your bolts set? Try winding them in a little more (don't forget to tiller them again).
    Risers have different geometries so less aggressive limb pad angles will mean a lighter poundage for the same limb bolt settings. The above three you can check with a bowscale.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 939 Posts
    arent conflict between bareshaft suggesting spine if stiif and the walkback suggesting soft that I am confused by
    When you shoot arrows that are stiff, often the only sign is when you do a bareshaft test. So, your test shows arrows are stiff.
    The moving off to the right is a separate issue. If I had a bow that was shooting perfectly at all distances and showing great bareshaft results, all I would need to do is move the sight to get the walk back results to change. The bareshaft v fletched difference at 20m would stay the same.
    If you alter centreshot, to try to change the bareshaft results, sometimes the gap remains the same ; the groups just move across. That can lead to poor walk back results. Button stiffness can sometimes give next to no change between bareshaft and fletched, but again, both groups move to one side.

Thanks
    Do the alignment bits (if you haven't already).
    Move your sight more or less in line with the string (if it's not already there).
    1. Shoot at a short distance and adjust the button pressure until the fletched shafts are hitting where you are aiming.
    2. Then re-do a bare shaft test, at 30m if you can. You can get problems if the distance is too short (commonest issue).

3. If you do a walk back, choose some distances with a longer gap.
    For a right handed archer, if the groups move rightward with increasing distance, that means move the button out or increase spring tension. But it has to be tested relative to the zero line (sight in line). If you're getting issues, move the button and go back to step 1.
    You may (probably will) need to increase the draw weight, if the button spring is coming up too weak at step 1.
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast