Setting my sights higher.

Newalpost

Greetings....

Well not really what you might expect from the title but my question is about the fact that for some reason or other I've had to move my sight pin higher up than it's previously been.

I've just got back into archery after the winter break and for the last few weeks, shooting at the same distance, I've found that I've had to move the sight pin up to get the group closer to the centre. Now its set at just a few mm from the top.

I have a couple of thoughts why this might be but I'd like to hear from others about possible causes.

No, I haven't shrunk and my neck is not any shorter :)

Thxs
Colin

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The sight having to be set higher could be connected to
A longer draw length, unless you have used a clicker. Assuming the clicker hasn't moved causing a longer draw length.
Lower anchor point. Perhaps last time you shot, your anchor was creeping up towards the front of your chin instead of under it. That could shorten the draw length at the same time.
Shooting in a more natural way, with more relaxation can make for a slicker release and better follow through. Perhaps the end of last season you were getting tense and shooting in a stifled or stiff manner.
Perhaps, before the break, you were developing a falling bow arm. The break may have helped to get rid of that and you are holding out the bow arm for longer before finishing the shot.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Add to that: lower nocking point, if you've been fiddling with your setup. Or tiller changes. Basically anything which alters the angle of the shaft to the handle at full draw.

Newalpost

Thanks for the replies.

I think it's mostly as Geoff suggests.

I check my bow setup prior to a session and nothing has changed and my mouth is closed except for the odd expletive when the shot goes wrong.

Now that I have my own target I've begun a process of trying to analyze how to make my groups better. I've become conscious of a variable anchor point mostly due to the change in pressure of the string on my nose. The less pressure, usually as a result of trying to hold the aim longer results in a lower shot. In addition I've removed the pinkie finger support from the tab as I noticed that I occasionally pulled on this or it even cause my hand to twist out slightly.

But I think the relaxation thing may be a part of it. Certainly last year and even the early sessions this year my left arm (on the riser) was getting tired at the end of the sessions. I've been trying a new load/draw/aim method since then. Not quite sure what you'll make of it but it seems to work for me in stabilising my aim by not putting too much strain on my left arm.

Essentially what I'm doing now is to rest the long rod on the ground while knocking the arrow and at the same time relaxing my left arm. Then I come up to the draw and aim and I find my sight picture is much more stable and I can hold the aim a little longer.

I still need to work on my release technique but more practice will help I'm sure.

Thxs
Colin