Shooting longer distances - tips please

CALOR

After having completed my 3 scores in National rounds, taking me to 1st class, I can now no longer shoot in them. So I have to go up to the next level (Hereford rounds) - 80 yards.

I tried to get sighters over the weekend, and to successfully shoot and get 6 arrows on the target.

I noticed that my bow arm was straining/aching because I had not known you had to tip the body back from the waist, to ensure a straight line from the bow to your string arm.

The one thing I am unsure of is when do you tip back - very confused?

Lorraine

JohnK

Lorraine,

I find it easier to slide my front hip towards to the target just before I start the draw. I would say it's probably not a good idea to try this at full draw, however.

Good luck finding a comfortable and repeatable approach (and congrats on your success so far :))

GeoffT

Ironman
CALOR said:
After having completed my 3 scores in National rounds, taking me to 1st class, I can now no longer shoot in them. So I have to go up to the next level (Hereford rounds) - 80 yards.

Lorraine
What do you mean Lorraine "I can no longer shoot in them"...is this some sort of club rule?

CALOR

In a National Round, you normally have to be unclassified or 3rd class at the most. So now I can no longer compete in them

GeoffT

Ironman
CALOR said:
In a National Round, you normally have to be unclassified or 3rd class at the most. So now I can no longer compete in them
I don't understand that ... Anyone can shoot any round (although some tournaments are for less experienced archers).

CALOR

I believe you can still shoot in the rounds, but cannot compete to get an award e.g at the Dunster week this week, you have to be 2nd or 3rd class to claim a medal

Meddler

CALOR said:
I noticed that my bow arm was straining/aching because I had not known you had to tip the body back from the waist, to ensure a straight line from the bow to your string arm.

Lorraine
Aah, "unit aiming".

The general idea is that you get the shot set up first, ie come to full draw, then move from the waist (if you're into T'ai Chi you move from the tantien, which is two inches below the navel). The feet and the hips should stay in the same place, it's only the upper body that moves.

You'll probably find that after a few trials of this, you'll get into the position automatically, before you draw.

Iain.

JohnK

All the National rounds I've attended have allowed anyone of any classification to win a medal. :)

greydog

Sometimes people do end up shooting with a slightly more strained style outdoors because of the longer distance.
When you start to draw up, stay focused on your sight ring or arrow point, ignoring everything else, this will help you stay more aware of your body position, then just before you reach full draw, shift your attention to the centre of the target, then as has been mentioned, raise your bow by tipping from the waist (this stops your shoulder angle and draw length changing, if you raise your bow arm, it effectively makes your draw length feel longer as you will have to pull back further with your drawing arm, which in turn will affect your anchor) This helps to keep your form consistant with the way you would shoot indoors. As you improve you can beging to focus on the target centre earlier in the shot routine :)

tel

Fonz Awardee
CALOR said:
I believe you can still shoot in the rounds, but cannot compete to get an award e.g at the Dunster week this week, you have to be 2nd or 3rd class to claim a medal
Hi Calor!
tis true I'm afraid :( I had the same thing last year, but had already booked a National at Black & Gold - I still shot it, but non-competitively. I maybe could have swapped to another round, but as all the people I was going with were shooting the National it would have meant seperate transport et al - not worth the hassle.
Does this mean you'll not be on the National line next Sunday?

CALOR

tel said:
Hi Calor!
tis true I'm afraid :( I had the same thing last year, but had already booked a National at Black & Gold - I still shot it, but non-competitively. I maybe could have swapped to another round, but as all the people I was going with were shooting the National it would have meant seperate transport et al - not worth the hassle.
Does this mean you'll not be on the National line next Sunday?
Hi Tel

I will be shooting the national @ Dunster - but these will be my last at my present 3rd classification - see you and your wife there!!

Flying Whale

CALOR said:

I tried to get sighters over the weekend, and to successfully shoot and get 6 arrows on the target.

Lorraine
Congratulations on the 1st class. You deserve it as you have been shooting soooooo well.

Irrespective of the draw of winning awards at tournaments, it is worth working on stepping up so you can have a go for Bowman and above. The way you are going it may not be too long...