Sight extension distance...

R

rgsphoto

OK I'v been reading books again..an interesting concept has come to light regarding bow torque..

What distance do people set there sight measured from the button hole to the sight pin? And why? Recurve or compound.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
rgsphoto said:
OK I'v been reading books again..an interesting concept has come to light regarding bow torque..

What distance do people set there sight measured from the button hole to the sight pin? And why? Recurve or compound.
Up/down or in/out? I assume in/out, but you didn't say...

R

rgsphoto

Rik said:
Up/down or in/out? I assume in/out, but you didn't say...
Out, or how far away from you:boggled:

The title says it all, "extension"

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
If you torque the riser, deliberately or otherwise, the button and arrow rest move very little, but the sight on the end of a long extension, moves much more left or right depending on the direction of torque. It is very similar in effect to adjusting the windage of the sight, without being aware that it has happened.At one time in the distant past there was much talk about placing the arrow rest infront or behind the button in order to compensate for the error produced at the sight. It sounded nicely scientific but I couldn't help thinking that a little time spent on eliminating the reasons for the torque would have been time better spent.

Field Archer

Cancel out any torque

I seem to remember that Jim Park wrote an article on Archery Forum about setting the sight extension to a point where it could cancel out any torque.

R

rgsphoto

Field Archer said:
I seem to remember that Jim Park wrote an article on Archery Forum about setting the sight extension to a point where it could cancel out any torque.
Bingo! but I can't quite work out how the sight can influence this? I have read the text over and over but not sure what he means?

Max

geoffretired said:
If you torque the riser, deliberately or otherwise, the button and arrow rest move very little, but the sight on the end of a long extension, moves much more left or right depending on the direction of torque. It is very similar in effect to adjusting the windage of the sight, without being aware that it has happened.
Geoff - I think I begin to see what is happeing here (having been lurking on RGS's post with interest). This sounds like torque applied while still at full draw (as opposed to torque reaction after loose caused by poor grip or alignment), so in effect pushing the riser to one side or the other and moving the string out of alignment with centershot. So you are in effect aiming off without knowing it? So if I understand what James Park is suggesting, there is some null position at some distance out from the riser that the scope needs to sit to compensate for a particular archer's torque effect?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks Max,
It seems we have torque in two different situations here. One at full draw causing the sight to be off the proper line so to speak. And torque as the arrow flies on the string causing off line flight. MMMM. If only we could see the high speed video versions of all these things as they happen.
I know there are times when I have to accept the fact that outcomes can tell us what we want to know. I also know that I'm fascinated by all of this kind of archery/physics/ballistics. I often wish I had access to those video cameras when the tuning goes pear shaped. They are coming down in price I believe!!!!?500,000. They'll be in my price range by 2197. That's a lot of birthdays.
Thanks again
Geoff

R

rgsphoto

Max said:
Geoff - I think I begin to see what is happeing here (having been lurking on RGS's post with interest). This sounds like torque applied while still at full draw (as opposed to torque reaction after loose caused by poor grip or alignment), so in effect pushing the riser to one side or the other and moving the string out of alignment with centershot. So you are in effect aiming off without knowing it? So if I understand what James Park is suggesting, there is some null position at some distance out from the riser that the scope needs to sit to compensate for a particular archer's torque effect?
Max, having read the text again, I reckon you have hit the nail on the head! The tricky part is getting the extension out far enough and still be able to reach 90m. It also possible to over do it and introduce an advers effect. Mr Park sets his extension at a whopping 200mm. I doubt I will be able to do this with the heavy X10's, so I see a compromise may be needed.

D

Deleted member 74

geoffretired said:
They are coming down in price I believe!!!!?500,000. They'll be in my price range by 2197. That's a lot of birthdays.
There are several models available for under ?3000. That's still a lot to spend on essentially a tuning aid, but it's a lot cheaper since the digital age started.

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I keep reading this thread over and over but I just don't get it!!!! You boys are too technical with your toys :thumbsdow

D

Deleted member 74

Oh, and back on topic, I set my sight as far from the bow as it will go, provided I can still reach the target. Then again, I am talking about a recurve...

Medoc

Ironman
Techno Techno Techno........................why not just shoot? I am sure that tourquing the bow doesnt cost too many points.

LineCutter

grantwomack said:
Oh, and back on topic, I set my sight as far from the bow as it will go, provided I can still reach the target. Then again, I am talking about a recurve...
I've got mine one stop less than fully extended, so that I can get 18-90m without changing the extension. ISTR that this was thought to be a good thing (for tuning reasons, & not just 'cos you'll eventually forget to change it when you change distance), but I can't remember the exact argument now.

R

rgsphoto

Medoc said:
Techno Techno Techno........................why not just shoot? I am sure that tourquing the bow doesnt cost too many points.
You have been shooting near on 30 years Mark. I have been shooting less than two. I have lots of questions about the techniacal stuff that I find interesting that's all. Each to there own. What is more, I need all the points I can get..

I am not good at just 'doing' I like to know 'why?' I would be crap in the army!

SLOWHAND

I'm with Grant on this, I always have my sight out as far as it will go (quite a long way on the spig carbon). I believe that by doing this you have a finer ajustment both in aiming and in windage/elevation ajustment . The only time I have to bring the sight in is when shooting a Portsmouth, the ring on my sight is a little too small to get the whole of the gold in at full extension.

jerryRTD

I cant see how a sight can do more than a long rod can besides the sight I have has the elevation on the riser not on the end of the extension and that means very little mass at the end of the extension.

Marcus26

It's not the mass of the sight that makes the difference, it's the location.
For those who can't be bothered clicking the link.

Sight your bow in at indoor (or 20m outdoor)
Shoot one shot normally into the centre
Now torge the next shot hard to the left by twisting the riser
Now do the same to the right

You should get three shots like this

X X X

Now move your sight out or in untill you can group all three arrows by repeating the process.

Interestingly enough the same process works with arrow rests. In playing with a PSE Scorpion it was found the rest could be placed so a bullet hole was achieved no matter how much torque was applied.