Stabiliser off centre

aquatoo

I have a Win and Win CXT, which I bought second hand (it was almost new), and the long rod thread is set at an angle. I am not sure why as the brass flange seems to be even with the riser all around so I suspect that it is either bent internally or that the drilling is out of true. It points left at about 5 degrees which isn't a problem from a shooting point of view but it makes bow set up awkward. It also points upward about the same amount which means it gets in the way when shooting at 90m. I have an angle adaptor which gets me round the sticking up part.

Has anyone got any idea how to straighten it or get the insert out of the bow. Anyone know if it is threaded into place or retained by spikes or glued.

Thanks

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
You say you have an angle adapter, how does that work?
Is it like the Fivics slope quick disconnect?
If it is you could rotate the hub of the disconnect so it counters the left lean of the rod and still retains a bit of the downward slope as well.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
It might not be the rod. If your limbs are misaligned (but the string is still passing down the centre of the bow) the rod will appear to point off to one side.

BillM

I had a similar problem and I merely got a thick washer and filed it so it was tapered (thinner on one edge). This was placed on the thread of the long rod and by rotating it to a particular position, I got the long rod 'vertical' to the riser.

BillM

Corax67

I have a CXT and my long rod is perfectly perpendicular to the riser - is the thread on your longrod bent at all ?

Did you buy the riser new or second hand?

Has it ever been dropped with the long rod fitted or (as I did) shot without a finger sling so it recoiled out of the bow hand and landed on the long rod? Either of these scenarios may result in the insert having been pulled out of line a I was lucky & only wrote off a long rod.

Karl

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I have a Win and Win CXT, which I bought second hand (it was almost new), and the long rod thread is set at an angle. I am not sure why as the brass flange seems to be even with the riser all around so I suspect that it is either bent internally or that the drilling is out of true.
I doubt the drilling is not true in the bush as I would expect the bush to be drilled and tapped prior to being bonded into the riser. The bonding may be out though. How did you test for alignment?

A test I do is to hold an arrow against the bow pressed up against the two button holes above the shelf. It's about the flattest part of the bow. You can check longrod alignment against the arrow. Note, don't use a barrelled arrow :)

It points left at about 5 degrees which isn't a problem from a shooting point of view but it makes bow set up awkward. It also points upward about the same amount which means it gets in the way when shooting at 90m. I have an angle adaptor which gets me round the sticking up part.
As Geoff said the adapter should solve both alignment issues you have. Also the bow setup should be done without reference to the long rod for this very reason.
Has anyone got any idea how to straighten it or get the insert out of the bow. Anyone know if it is threaded into place or retained by spikes or glued.
Thanks
As Jerry said, don't go there :)

If the long rod thread is bent, or misaligned in the long rod end cap, it will show up as you screw the long rod into the bow. The weight end of the long rod will draw a circle in the air. If it stays true to its own axis it is fine.

I had a similar problem and I merely got a thick washer and filed it so it was tapered (thinner on one edge). This was placed on the thread of the long rod and by rotating it to a particular position, I got the long rod 'vertical' to the riser.
BillM
This will work if there is enough play between the bush and the treaded stud. A quick way to check is screw in the long rod but not up tight. Leave about 2mm gap and see if the play in the rod is enough to take out the misalignment.

aquatoo

You say you have an angle adapter, how does that work?
Is it like the Fivics slope quick disconnect?
If it is you could rotate the hub of the disconnect so it counters the left lean of the rod and still retains a bit of the downward slope as well.
Hi Geoff

Yes it is a quick disconnect made by Arc Systemes in France. It has four different settings and you are correct in that I can get it to where the rod is on the centre line but that doesn't stop it annoying me because it's difficult when aligning the bow to be sure you have got it dead centre. Normally the long rod alone (no other connections) is the reference point.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

It might not be the rod. If your limbs are misaligned (but the string is still passing down the centre of the bow) the rod will appear to point off to one side.
Thanks but the limbs are correctly aligned. The long rod offset is obvious.

aquatoo

BillM
That sounds like it might be the answer. Thanks for that. I did think of filing the front of the insert but that seemed a bit barbaric!

aquatoo

I have a CXT and my long rod is perfectly perpendicular to the riser - is the thread on your longrod bent at all ?

Did you buy the riser new or second hand?

Has it ever been dropped with the long rod fitted or (as I did) shot without a finger sling so it recoiled out of the bow hand and landed on the long rod? Either of these scenarios may result in the insert having been pulled out of line a I was lucky & only wrote off a long rod.

Karl
The rod thread doesn't appear to be bent because when I screw it into the riser insert it doesn't describe a circle at the far end. I don't recollect dropping it or launching it but that might have happened before I got it. (It was second hand). I have launched other bows up the field by forgetting the finger sling as have most of us, I suspect.

aquatoo

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I'll spend a bit of time filing a washer if I can find one thick enough, or just live with it if I can't.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Aquatoo, I made a long rod adapter to droop the rod out of my field of vision for shooting clout. It isn't quick release like yours, but once I fix it to the bow and adjust it to get the long rod where I want it, from then on I remove the long rod and leave the adapter on the bow for next time. Each time I fit the long rod it goes back on in the same alignment with no further adjustment.
Does your adapter not stay in position on the bow once set it up to get the long rod drooping and on the centre line?

aquatoo

Aquatoo, I made a long rod adapter to droop the rod out of my field of vision for shooting clout. It isn't quick release like yours, but once I fix it to the bow and adjust it to get the long rod where I want it, from then on I remove the long rod and leave the adapter on the bow for next time. Each time I fit the long rod it goes back on in the same alignment with no further adjustment.
Does your adapter not stay in position on the bow once set it up to get the long rod drooping and on the centre line?
Hi Geoff
It does, but when setting up the bow or changing the setup I like to use just the long rod as a reference without any other connections. I appreciate that I can find the centre line of the bow by holding an arrow across the two button holes in the riser but that doesn't help much when the reason for finding the centre line is to adjust the centre shot. Apart from all that it just annoys me!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Aquatoo, I can see why it annoys you. I feel the same way; the longrod should be in line.
But in many cases it isn't in line, some are worse than others but getting an off line long rod sorted out is a big job if you go down the route of changing the bushing and truing the hole and filling it with a trued up, made to measure bushing.
Looking at the centre line aspect and setting up centre shot; we look at the bow from behind so the string line appears down the centre of both limbs. Having a long rod fitted to the bow can make this eyeballing a slightly easier task if it is in line. It is easier to use the longrod as a guide because it is in our field of vision when we are looking at the arrow. But relying on the long rod should come second to checking string against the limbs, as that allows us the chance to check the limbs are well seated.
If the longrod can be made to line up on the centre line, then its value when setting centre shot can be the same as if it were perfect from the start.
If all bows came with adapters as standard, to drop the long rod out of our view when on aim at 100y, we would think nothing of it.