Straight vs angled v-bars

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Can anyone explain the pros and cons of using a straight or angled v-bar? I've used an angled v-bar for years but recently got a straight one for peanuts. I can't really tell any difference between the two.

Are there practical reasons for choosing one of the two or is it just personal preference and aesthetics?

Shirt

Flat v-bar = greater precision of feel
Angled v-bar = more forgiving
Adjustable v-bar = tool of the devil.

At least, that's what I was once told... :)

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
i think things like this just depend on the archer.
its like asking what is the best riser, its what your most comfortable with. if you have tried them and found little difference then i would tend to stick to what your used to.
i tried staright v bars once a while ago and didnt get on with the setup at all so went back to the angled ones.

Thunk

Ironman
When I can a) tell the difference in the way the bow handles, and
b) can see that using one over the other makes a difference to my scores,
I will be c) a very happy bunny, and
d) probably a grand master bowman!:rotfl:

No, that's not me laughing, just everybody else who knows me!

tel

Fonz Awardee
In my very limited experience, and I appreciate it is a purely personal thing, straight bars just seem to get in the way

Cakemeister

Fonz Awardee
V-bars got in the way full stop when I first tried them...you get used to it. I've tried both of late & I feel more comfortable with angled- it's just the way the weight distributes for me.

Pete

LineCutter

My v-bar is an adjustable one, which suits the lack of an extender in my setup. I've not tried a fixed bar, but since mine doesn't get moved once I've got it "right" I don't see much difference is likely. The critical bit being - once it's set up.
It happens that the weight & horizontal angles on my v-bar are both asymmetric - not sure I could do that same without the adjustments :)

GeoffT

Ironman
If you can tell the difference between straight and 15degree angled with your eyes shut, then I would like to meet you.....you must be a world champion.

Seriously though, as with all bow choices, choose the one that you feel comfortably with. Archery is all about confidence.

Geoff

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Well the general theme of this thread is that you should shoot what you're comfortable with. As I've been shooting with an angled v-bar for years I think I'll stick with that.

As for Shirts comment that an angled v-bar is more forgiving :thumbsup:. With my form I need all the forgiveness I can get!

Thanks for your posts guys.

PS Is anyone after a straight v-bar (Cavalier J Bar)? Make me an offer... :)

Wrexham Exile

Ironman
it may not have felt right this time round but things like this can always be worth a try, and at the very least can give you more confidence in your old set up.

Al

T

TimCroot

Adding my 3 old pennys worth, I was told that the adjustable bars allowed the weight distribution to be more accuratly set? however this is best done if you can achieve the repeatability of the shot time after time.

All to do with bow static balance and the reaction once the release has occurred, the drop off/forwards could be jiggled with to achieve the best results.

May be totaly wrong though!! :christmas

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
gunmender said:
Adding my 3 old pennys worth, I was told that the adjustable bars allowed the weight distribution to be more accuratly set? however this is best done if you can achieve the repeatability of the shot time after time.

All to do with bow static balance and the reaction once the release has occurred, the drop off/forwards could be jiggled with to achieve the best results.

May be totaly wrong though!! :christmas
Um. How accurately do you need to set the balance? As an illustration, I recently took off the (angled) v-bar I'd been using for several years, and re-distributed the weights to the front of the long-rod (still using the extender). Net result was that the Centre of Mass moved forward by about an inch/inch and a half. That's a *tiny* change, given the extremity of the alteration to the stabiliser setup. I *can* feel a difference in the bow reaction, but it's nowhere near as dramatic as I would have expected. Tweaking the angle on v-bars just isn't in that league...

As for adjustable v-bars: I wouldn't use one again (my last angled one was fixed) after having
(a) a bolt break and one twin drop off
(b) one twin "adjust" itself in the middle of a competition
You just don't need those sorts of distraction.

T

TimCroot

Maybe another urban myth that needs sorting out then?

I agree the KISS principle for equipment though.

joetapley

Only difference I can see is that with a flat V bar assembly the rods are shorter and hence stiffer. Might be a factor if you have a lot of weight on the twins.

Lowering the bow centre of mass does make for a 'more forgiving ' setup but I would have thought that the effect of the V bar angle on this would be minimal.