string alignment/blur

merv

important question.......do you use it,how important do you think it is and where do you line up on the riser.
Most importantly what happens to your shot if you forget to use it.

R

rgsphoto

merv said:
important question.......do you use it?

Yes When I remembered to :boggled:

How important do you think it is?

It's a usefull ref point, however if you have a good anchor you will find that you will ref at the same place anyway.

and where do you line up on the riser?

Anywhere you like that seem comfortable, as long as it's consistent. Do what feels right

Most importantly what happens to your shot if you forget to use it.
You may get left right error, but I doubt it as long as your shot is consistent
Check out the Blue text

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Sounds like a recurve question but not necessarily. With compound, the peep gives string alignment left/right and up/down in one hit.With strings and no peep you get left/right alignment. I brought the string blur as close to the sight as possible without blurring the target image. It then became part of the "picture" without having to check two aspects separately.
Forgetting to use it is not really the issue, I feel. If you forgot but it was in the same position every time;no problem. If you forgot and sometimes it was further left or right than normal; then that is a problem. The string picture is the rifle equivalent of the back sight as far as left/right is concerned.

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
I check the string blur, and place it in line with the edge of the riser on the side where the aperture is. But a lot of really good archers had no idea what I was talking about when I asked where they put their string blur -- it's something that many people just don't notice.

Cakemeister

Fonz Awardee
It's a reference point if you want it to be one- but you've got to be careful that looking for it doesn't create any unnecessary head movement. I use it outdoors for longer distances- and it can be used for windage instead of messing about with sights. I line it up with the centre of the bow & adjust depending on conditions.

Pete

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I know I never take any notice of mine as womble has often asked me which side of the string my arrow point is on!!! :beer:

Barry C

I think string blur position is ultra important for consistant shooting. Even with a consistant anchor point it can still be very important to use the blur. For those with total archery please see P66

Thunk

Ironman
I shoot left-handed and I line mine up on the left-hand sight of the sight aperture. It works together with the anchor point to create your 'backsight' reference.

D

Deleted member 74

I'm baffled by this one. I've ALWAYS shot with the sight pin between the riser and string blur. Total Archery recommends that archers put the string blur between the sight pin and the riser. What I find funny about this though is that there is no correct answer and you can see one of Ki Sik Lee's star pupils (Dave Barnes) blatantly not using the "recommended" lineup on p59.

The correct answer is that there is no true way to do it, so long as whatever you choose to do is consistent. A 1366 FITA certainly shows that! ;)

Robert

Ironman
Definitely use it as a reference although its become one of those subconscious elements now and more a part of the whole shot than "step n of p elements" in the shot sequence. When the shot hasn't "felt" right I have put it down to not aligning the string with my reference mark sometimes.

SLOWHAND

Use of string blur isn't important- it's absolutely vital each and every time you shoot an arrow. If you do it every time after a short while it becomes automatic and an integral part of the shot process. One of the top recurve archers (can't remember who) did tests and found that use of a visual check on the string was many times more accurate than shooting by feel. I have my string blur just touching the ring of my sight so that I dont have to shift my focus from the gold.