Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
Discuss String contact marks, on nose and chin? at the Methodology, Tuning, Coaching etc. within Archery Interchange UK Forums; Kirk Douglas must have been a terrific archer Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk ...
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Kirk Douglas must have been a terrific archer

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Hi Jake,
    Thanks Geoff she actually anchors on the centre of her chin, below the tip of her nose.
    That is a good place to start from. I wonder then, if the rubbing is a sideways movement of the string as she releases. Or, is there some roughness on the string centre serving at the point of contact?

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK American Shoot.I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot. hooktonboy's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Been posted so many times before.... even so, a thing of rhythmic beauty

Park Sung Hyun - YouTube
    Simon Banks likes this.
    JFDI

It's an X
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    I have that on my desktop, so simply done. But the simplicity hides the hours of refinement needed to get beyond the clumsiness that is plain to see when we start.
    hooktonboy likes this.

In the Red
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffretired View Post
    Hi Jake,

That is a good place to start from. I wonder then, if the rubbing is a sideways movement of the string as she releases. Or, is there some roughness on the string centre serving at the point of contact?
    New string/serving I always end up with a cut/graze on my chin. Its not from the anchor as such but the little bit of movement on release.

It's an X
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Hi Gster123, I get sore if there is a knot or glue in the wrong place, but otherwise things are OK. Perhaps I don't pull in as hard as some other archers.

It's an X
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    And just to illustrate this, click on the links below & enjoy...

Park Sung-Hyun - Athens (video - 3 mins):
    South Korea's Park Sung-Hyun Wins Amazing Archery Gold - Athens 2004 Olympics - YouTube

V
    I think we sometimes forget how much better the set system is for spectators. This is a timely reminder. Truly awful compared to footage of e.g. World Cups over the past couple of years.

In the Red Ironman 2nd Place
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fanio View Post
    I think we sometimes forget how much better the set system is for spectators.
    The set system: Reminds me of one particular FITA-70 & Head-to-head in Southampton. At the assembly, this charismatic judge stepped forward before the gathered throng and announced:

"Ladies and Gentlemen I stand before you morning to introduce you all to the joys of sets..."

...I've never experienced a crowd of archers fall so silent, so quickly.

V
    Not all who wander are lost.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    First, new strings, particularly Majesty, leave a mark on the string, the shirt, etc...
    As a coach, I judge the proficiency of the archer's consistency by the ratio of the mark's width on the nose compared to the width of the bowstring. It's a very good metric to use - the thinner the line the more refined the technique of drawing the bow and anchoring is.
    As a coaching father, I delighted in NOT sharing with my teenage daughter the fact that she was walking around behind the line with a funny black line very finely described down the middle of her nose. Though, in reflection, as she got older I started reminding her so she could wipe it off (but only after I had "judged" it).
    To my limited memory, there are very few archers who have both anchored the string in the middle of the chin AND achieved an Olympic medal during the modern era. A Japanese archer, medaled in 1984, then took another 20 years to medal again(don't you love the sport of archery!) named Yamamotohqdefault.jpg, and he anchors in the middle of the face. IT IS INCREDIBLY UNFORGIVING TO ANCHOR THIS WAY. You simply cannot easily expand through the clicker when your head is in the way! TO shoot well this way requires having a very, very good day!
    I believe that one's head must be turned to the target sufficiently to preserve strength, provide 3D view to the brain and inner ear linkage, allow clearance if wearing glasses, provide a firm and reachable jawline for the fistknuckle landing, and to allow the string to both touch the centre of the nose AND grace the edge of the corner of the mouth, length of the bow permitting. Frankly I view the string angle in this region as an indicator as to whether the bow is long enough for the archer's draw length and method.
    (PS - notice how I snuck in that there fancy spelling for "center"? No uncouth behaviour for this bloke! ) And I've prolly mentioned the importance I give to the whole "head turn" thang before, but here's a link to what I really think about it...
    An atypical archery coach

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    Some Ladies end up with string marks simply because of the depth of makeup they use
    EEEYEWWWWWWW.....gross....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Bullit View Post
    My twelve year old daughter ends up with a sore chin after every weekly shoot ,we get in trouble with her mother when we get home...
    Putting a plaster/bandaid on it is treating the symptom rather than the cause, perhaps.
    From the cheap seats in the peanut gallery, it is likely I am guessing wrong, but I would hazard to say that if she is getting a skinburn on the jaw from the bowstring upon release, she MIGHT be suffering the result of a very stiff string hand with a laggardly release. Ideally her hand "draws the jaw", fingers staying curled and against the neck skin during followthrough. If NOT, then the bowstring is moving laterally towards the face during release because of excessive muscle tension in the string hand/forearm.
    An archer can literally change the dynamic spine of her arrows simply by evolving a more relaxed, crisp, and sudden release. THAT happens when the archer maintains a BENT (not "cocked") wrist and focuses more on the tension in the back than creating tension in the string hand. If she draws "on the target" then 99% chance she is cocking the wrist, which mandates a stiff and forced loosing of the arrow. It should be just that - loose - not overgripped.
    I offer this because there was a time when I had that issue myself, and happily had a better coach than myself to teach me the better way.
    If not due to stiff overgrippage, then I'd have to explore the other characteristics: Anchor is where on the jaw (is she placing the string on the tip of the nose, or on the base: base leads to chinstroke), is she turning her head (or rather, NOT turning her head towards the target, such that the jaw extends into the normal path of the string)?
    The good news is that 99% of all archers learn a sound method that does not include PAIN on the jaw upon release, so the chances are good that a coach who is present to witness and evaluate, can readily diagnose mo' better than this guy sitting as I said, in the peanut gallery thousands of miles away. Get a local coach to help, and your daughter is more likely to enjoy the sport for longer!

It's an X AIUK subscriber. Whitehart's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Yes Texarc I sat in a meeting in front of a Head of Year at a Parents open day with such a black line.......when pointed out to me fist thing I asked was whether it was thin or wide line.
    Dave likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12