Stringwalking and Target Visibility

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I have been experimenting with string walking recently and have worked out a number of crawls on the practice butts and was getting on quite well.

However when I went on the course today I found that I have a problem at 7 yards. At 7 yards the nock of the arrow is exactly level with my eye and it and the fletchings totally hide the boss, especially if the sun hits them.

Is there a technique to deal with this, or am I doing something wrong, or is it just hard lines?

sreynolds

I would use a slightly shorter crawl and aim below center. It's a very small change; just enough to let you see over the top of the shaft rather than trying to look through it.

Valkamai

I would use a slightly shorter crawl and aim below center. It's a very small change; just enough to let you see over the top of the shaft rather than trying to look through it.
This X2.
(And a few more things so the message is long enough to post)
[emoji2]

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Well I suppose if I used a long enough arrow then I could just lean forward and stick it in the target
Heehee never thought of that. Less danger of missing, too; no need for fletchings,fewer lost or broken arrows; and a way to pole vault over fences when others miss and lose arrows in nearby fields. Might need a longer arrow tube???

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Mmmm. Thought that may be the answer but thought I'd check in case I was doing something wrong. Thanks everybody.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Follow up question - do you prefer to put the pile point or pile top on the target?

Valkamai

I use Saunders combo points so I can't really see the pile point so it's pretty much the pile top or "edge".

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

adoadam

It's unusual for the nock to be quite so high.......

Do you have a nocking point below the arrow as well as the normal one above? Two nocking points are essential for stringwalking.......

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
It's unusual for the nock to be quite so high.......

Do you have a nocking point below the arrow as well as the normal one above? Two nocking points are essential for stringwalking.......
Yes, one above and one below.

As a matter of fact when I go to 5 yards the nock goes even higher so that the arrow points down slightly. It surprised me but it seemed to work so i didn't worry about it.

steve Morley

The other issue is such a big crawl could make a twitchy shot, a lot of people just gap on these very short shots. Easiest thing is just shoot a few arrows at 10 yard crawl to figure how far below you need to Gap at 5 yards.

I shoot figure 8 i.e. my arrow tip rests at bottom of spot rather than inside it. I also use TopHat points, these have a small edge on the points, makes it much easier to aim off.