Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Struggling after four years out of archery.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 957 Posts

Struggling after four years out of archery.

Four or five years ago, I was forced out of archery for various reasons. Previously I had been shooting regularly and my scores were OK though never as good as I really wanted. Portsmouths were 560+ but always seemed a struggle.
    A year ago I was able to return to some shooting but at lower draw weight. I put longer cables on my compound to reduce draw weight from about 50 lb down to 36 ish.
    I have kept my same arrows. 3-39 ACC and 500 FMJ.
    On the occasions when I get to shoot, my groups are rubbish. At 60y I can get a couple in each colour out to blue. Struggle to get 252!!
    I don't feel my form has changed that much, but I would accept that it may have got worse.
    One thing I have wondered about recently, is the arrows. They are clearly too stiff having dropped nearly 15lbs. But can I rule them out as a cause for the big groups?
    Do over stiff arrows damage scores that much?
    Also, I remember being told that bows like to be shot close to their max draw weight when possible. Mine is clearly well below that at the moment. Could that be part of the problem?
    I have worked on my form for the last year or so and seem to be getting nowhere.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yes, and yes. You've altered your bow way out of spec so it might give you a specific poundage but who knows what the dfc looks like. You wouldn't recommend any other archer shoot arrows that far out of spine, so perhaps your own advice would work for you too!
    Sounds like you might want to look for a nice second hand bow built in the poundage you are looking for and pick up some new arrows in the appropriate spine.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 957 Posts
    Hi TT. Thanks for the advice. I have run through the idea of a second hand bow, as you suggest.
    You are correct; I would not recommend arrows that far out, to other archers. But, that would be to give them a known match, as it were, so I couldn't be accused of advising them badly.. I have no real evidence that my arrows are the reason for the big groups. They are a long way from recommended.... but I thought compounds were quite tolerant. It would be great if all I needed was a few spines weaker. I suppose I could try weaker arrows on this set up and then change the bow if they didn't bring better results.
    Does that sound reasonable?
    Cheers once again.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    "Quite tolerant" could be one spine either way. Think you're well outside that. And yes, a wildly flailing arrow will have erratic flight and give erratic groups. You could get more appropriate arrows for your current bow, but my concern is your current bow is so far out of spec it might be hard to judge what *are* the right arrows for it.

Thanks
    I'd also guess that putting much longer cables on the bow will alter the brace height and alter the preload on the limbs at the point the arrow is leaving. This could be messing with your arrow flight.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffretired View Post
    F I put longer cables on my compound to reduce draw weight from about 50 lb down to 36 ish.
    I have kept my same arrows. 3-39 ACC and 500 FMJ.
    I would say that if the bow was 40-50 and you came down to 36 you are probably fine. If your bow was 50-60 wound down to 36 you are probably in uncharted waters. That said you can't have too stiff arrows on a compound. They will just be pointlessly heavy. If you are drawing peak 36 I can only guess how little your holding weight is! You might be better off binning the release aid and using a girls hair clip.
    But seriously, how hard are you pulling into the stops with that let-off?
    An archers only opponent is his mind.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast