Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Struggling Part 2

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 957 Posts

Struggling Part 2

It would seem that my off -spec bow and mismatched arrows are not really a cause for my poor groups.
    Recently I have been able to shoot several days outside and get a feel for longer distances again.So far I have spotted a couple of things about my shooting.
    1) I cant the bow. That has been something I have been guilty of since I started with recurve way back in 1982. It shows up after I have reached my anchor points and am settling on the gold ready to finish the sequence. My extension sight in front of my left eye exaggerates the effect of canting. I did manage to shoot a couple of distances without canting and the left /right closed in which was good. I had to continually look to see that the extension thread was level. I found that a bit distracting as I wanted to look through the aperture to the gold. I wish I could find out why the canting happens then I could correct it; as in, set and forget.
    2) I found my bow shoulder was struggling against the mass weight of my bow. My bow is low mass weight with a long rod and no weight; finished off with a side rod with half a weight on the end. Perhaps I need a Genesis!!
    3) My release hand sometimes drags to the side, away from my chin on release.

Thanks
    Rookie thoughts, obviously, but could 1) & 3) both be linked to a sub-optimal wrist position of the draw hand?

- If your bow hand is doing the not-grabbing-but-merely-a-pivot thing, then the draw hand is about the only thing that could cause the canting.

Is the cant always in the same direction?
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi, Thanks for that. It is good to talk with you, Rookie or not. Exploring ideas helps whether to eliminate or to investigate. I can easily rotate my draw hand and see how things go. I use a release aid which acts in a d-loop. That naturally twists the string the opposite way, but the draw hand could be involved in some other way, I suspect.
    I am not sure about the two being connected. Canting happened with my recurve and the compound; always to the 1 o'clock position. In the past, with compound, observers noticed it was happening just before release. They said , we know when your release is going because you cant the bow. I don't know whether I am introducing a movement or stopping something that was keeping the bow upright.
    I notice when I hold out my bow arm, as if holding a bow, the index finger knuckle is much higher than the thumb knuckle. The top of the bow grip; the underside of the throat, is usually level viewed from the archer's point of view at full draw, making me think the bow might be resting on that left hand side of the throat and tipping the bow to the right. I am currently working on reshaping the under side of the throat so both thumb and index finger knuckles can press up " equally " I hope.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Geoff! You know what my advice will be!
    Remove sights... remove any rods... shoot field!
    Ideally remove the bow and get a primitive
    But seriously, hope you can resolve your prob's .
    Del
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks Del,
    I have been shooting at close range without sights and without rods. Sometimes taking that amount of weight off the bow makes it easier for me. I am struggling with holding the bow steady at arm's length.
    Some progress has been made; not a lot! However, the most soul destroying situation is having no way forward ; so a little progress seems so much better than just floundering around.

Thanks
    Hey Geoff,

When I posted earlier I mistakenly thought it was recurve that was being discussed, sorry.

I've never even picked up a c*mp**nd never mind shot one. (& have zero desire to do either tbt.)

But I did 'have a play' while doing my SPTs earlier & found it's just as easy to cant the bow with either hand, especially 'clockwise'.

From what your 'observers' have said, perhaps you're subconsciously anticipating the release/follow-through with a tiny rotation of the left wrist? Even over-squeezing with the thumb could be throwing you off.

For the 'bow weight' issue, how about filling a pop bottle with increasing amounts of water & doing reps of just holding it outstretched for increasing amounts of time?

- You don't need to be shooting for that, you can do it at a desk or even while watching the telling vision

It'll take time to get back to where you were, be sure to give yourself that time. Don't be too hard on y'sel dude! When I returned to my club in April, after nearly 2 years out, coach told me to expect months rather than weeks to regain form. Nearly 3 months later, I'm just about there
    "Cavete ira Leonis"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast