Tabs; what do they do, apart from give the fingers some protection from the string?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
A tab protects the fingers from the string, otherwise why else would archers use them?
I think( but have no proof) that a poorly fitting tab, can make it feel clumsy and that can become a distraction. By "poorly fitting" I see two scenarios. One where the size is wrong and the other where the fit is too loose leaving the tab the chance to move around into different positions shot to shot.
Adding a plate to a tab, can make the fit more reliable and a confidence boost.It also allows a spacer to be fitted and adjusted.
If I was asked about tabs by a beginner, I might say something along the lines above.
However, I stopped using a tab before the more recent developments happened; the ones with wide plates and places to fit the little finger round.
What are beginners being told these days with regard to tabs?( that is a genuine question,I do not know the answer.) How do the more recent developments benefit the archers?

D

Deleted member 7654

Twangifold and slipimost of the servimold and stringiloose!
Del
(with appologies to Stanley Unwin) :)

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Heehee, Yes, I certangly agree with all of that.
However, even the tabs that are constructed from a single layer of leather and nothing else, can be either good to use or a bit of a fiddle. It seems to me that the fitting onto the hand is important for user satisfaction even if scores may not show a huge benefit from one to the other.

ben tarrow

At my club, we dont introduce beginners to tabs initially, basically because they find they get in the way and they dont like them.
At the point where the beginner complains of sore fingers, we "solve" their problem with a finger tab and then they like them.

For what ever reason I find an number of beginners on their journey to being novices, discover shooting gloves or finger stalls, usually to discard them in favour of a tab within a few weeks of experimenting with the glove.
Havent worked out why they feel prompted to try the gloves, nor why they go back to tabs in a short period

ZolcsiBB

I think( but have no proof) that a poorly fitting tab, can make it feel clumsy and that can become a distraction. By "poorly fitting" I see two scenarios. One where the size is wrong and the other where the fit is too loose leaving the tab the chance to move around into different positions shot to shot.
What I have found and always look for when helping other archers is:
- if you have a tab with a metal plate (and/or leather) too tall, protruding above the fingers, there is a possibility that the anchor will happen on the edge of that, not directly between the finger and the jaw. For a beginner, this problem can make it impossible to learn how to correctly anchor. The tab can actually "cut" the archer (as long as it is a nice backwards movement), it is really an unpleasant experience. However, if you go down in tab size because of this, the leather may be too short to reach the end of your fingers. This is especially the case with tall, skinny guys with long and thin fingers (like me).
Several archers I shoot with, had to trim the top edge of their tabs because of this.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Ben, I do the same regards no tabs for beginners lessons unless the fingers are starting to get sore. I her a few say how clumsy they feel. The glove seems to me like a way of getting protection without the clumsiness, perhaps that's why they buy those when they get their own gear. Going on to a tab later.... perhaps they have got past the feeling clumsy stage and can get better use from a tab.
ZolcsiBB, thanks for pointing out the too tall plate danger. I think a lot of archers get platform tabs because they are told it helps get a solid anchor. I am not convinced by that. The plate seems like a similar idea and sometimes the top rest is positioned to get skin contact under the chin, when that might be a second best position.

ZolcsiBB

I think a lot of archers get platform tabs because they are told it helps get a solid anchor. I am not convinced by that.
Me neither, and I am not convinced by the pinky-hook thingy either. I prefer the point of my pinky finger lightly touching my neck, adding an additional reference point. It really helps me a lot with my form, and hooking my pinky to the tab would take it away.
Also, on photos/videos of top archers, it seems to me that many-many of them are also touching their neck with their pinky fingers...

So, if I remove all plates, and hooks and whatevers from my tab... it really comes down to having just a basic tab, with only a finger spacer on it.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks for that. I know some archers have had thoughts about what to do with the little finger. Sometimes, I think an idea can germinate from doubts about form. An archer, for example, who isn't aware of tensing the little finger until it is pointed out, might try to relax it and sometimes fail to relax it, then they look for a way of settling it down and the hook might seem to be a solution. AT least they can feel where it is rather than not knowing what it's doing.

So, if I remove all plates, and hooks and whatevers from my tab... it really comes down to having just a basic tab, with only a finger spacer on it.
What about a plate that is quite narrow and its job is only to hold the spacer and the straps that fit the tab to the hand/fingers? Like the A &F but without the platform on the top. That could be useful for keeping the leather in shape and the spacer in place, without having any impact on the way the tab is held.

Mark31121

Ironman
All I can think of is protect fingers and to get a cleaner release (especially for flight), finger spacers are helpful to stop pinching.

I started with a basic tab from day 1, I think it's odd not to have something really - even if my club doesn't use them to start off with either. The again it was a university club and it was a 26/28lb bow, which I wouldn't recommend for most beginners.

I'm not a fan of regular platforms either, I prefer the index finger/chin contact - I have the type where the platform is a finger rest, but would happily remove it.

I do quite like the pinky hook though, I find it helps me feel how much pressure is on the other fingers if that makes sense.

ThomVis

I use the pinky hook not to pull, but to keep a check on my tab not moving, and my pinky is relaxed. Pinky hook moving in my hand -> let down, I'm frelling up my finger pressure. And the ledge, I put my thumb on it and use the crease between palm and thumb as a guide for my jawbone. Do YOU need all this? Probably not, but it helps me with my consistency.

So to answer the question; you need your tab for finger protection and you can use your tab for consistent hand position and to bolt the finger spacer to.

And we don't let beginners pull a string back without a tab or glove. They need protection at one point in their archery career, better acquaint them with it ASAP. And as a instructor I don't want to be responsible for a students finger problems, better save than sorry.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Cheers Mark and ThomVis.
I can see how some "extras" will help the archer feel more secure in relation to having the tab in the same place on their hands each time and how the pinky rest can help with that as well as knowing where the finger is as opposed to getting " out of place" and not being aware.
The platform, low down to rest the thumb on is a good idea I would imagine. I like the V being used for extra reference on the jaw. I agree that we don't need it but sometimes having the extras helps which has to be good. After all, barebow archers show us we don't need a sight, but a huge number of archers find they are helpful.

Geophys

Apart from finger protection to me the a well fitted and adjusted tab is a key part of consistency. I use the W&W EZ tabs, I have two which I alternate so that I always have a spare that feels the same. The properly adjusted extra rear extension stops a lot of the hand curl an ensures a consistent fit in the hand. I have the platform lowered to use as a thumb rest as I prefer the feel of flesh against flesh rather than a metal platform, it also allows me to fit the line of my jaw into the groove between my thumb and index finger, again ensuring consistency. I have the large Fivics spacers fitted to them as the shape and size of it ensures no pinching. I've tried numerous tabs and this combination, for me, just works.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Cheers Geophys.
Skin to skin contact under the jaw is something I feel is important. It lets you know better, where the arrow nock is in relation to your face and aiming eye. A plastic platform can tell you there is contact between the jaw and the plastic, but the hand can move between shots taking the nock with it, and leaving the archer unaware of the differences. Spacers are good too, for comfort and consistent positioning.

Whitehart

Tabs also control the height of your elbow, some tabs are good for a level elbow others a higher elbow. Some top archers use different thicknesses of leather under each finger to get the elbow position and the pressure on each finger correct for a consistent shot.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Andrew, thanks for that.
Can I ask whether the tab really controls, or is it more accommodates better a certain elbow height; or possibly encourages one more than the other?
In a similar way to door handles that you turn to open a door. They may turn clockwise or the opposite. The clockwise ones encourage me to use my right hand; and left hand for counter clockwise.

jerryRTD

In a word ' Consistancy '.When set up properly the tab plate is held snug against the top finger by the adjustment spacer, allowing no variation, I found this out when I aws shooting my Oneida Pro Eagle My anchor was so stable I always found the peep sight exactly where it should be at every draw.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Jerry, yes indeed the right fit etc and they help. I think it is also true that a poorly fitting tab can be a nuisance.

Whitehart

Geoff it really depends on how consistent your drawing arm form is to notice. Most tabs are ideal for a level elbow others like the spiga confort tab aid a slightly higher elbow.

Fivics show how each of their tab designs controls the pressure on each finger, which is related to elbow height unless you have a floppy wrist.

example here: Finger Tab :: FIVICS

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Cheers Andrew.
I am out of touch with current tabs. I used a Bjorn after my first A&F. My concerns in those distant days were, nice leather, good size and fit, a finger spacer that worked for me. I thought a platform was a help, but never had proof. Recently I have come around to not liking the ones that are used to contact the underside of the jaw.
The ingredients /features you mention seem to me to be ways of adding security.Security, in that sense the archer can feel more confident that likely variations in hold,grip, alignment, will be pointed out to them by the features and corrected rather than going undetected. Is that a fair summary?

Whitehart

Archery if you want high scores is all about consistency from shot to shot this is just another tool to help with this.