Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiller vs nock point

In the White
    Thanks

Tiller vs nock point

I have read on this forum that you can get the same effect on arrow flight by changing either tiller or nock point height. In what sense should tiller be adjusted to get the same effect as raising the nock point?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

- Bill

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 957 Posts
    If you turn down the weight on the bottom limb, for example, the bottom limb tip will be pulled upwards by the upper limb, which will now be on a higher setting in comparison to before. The nocking point will rise as the string is moved upwards. You could get a similar effect by turning up the poundage on the top limb. I would not like to guess at how the arrow flight would be changed.

In the White
    Thanks
    Hi Geoff, so that sounds like greater tiller raises the nock point. I wonder whether I can find time to make some relevant measurements. It would be interesting. Tomorrow I have a pretty full programme in the garden though. Have to give it some welly. Cheers, Bill

Thanks
    Other way round. Tightening the top limb will reduce positive tiller and raise nocking point. Slackening bottom limb will reduce tiller and raise nocking point.

Basically increase tiller and nocking point drops because tiller is positive if top limb tiller measurement is greater than bottom.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 957 Posts
    Which ever limb you tighten, pulls the nocking point towards that limb tip. That's one way to remember what happens.
    Remembering what is "greater tiller" or "less tiller" is less easy to do, I find.
    If we say that a bow with two equally stiff limbs creates zero tiller on a symmetrical riser, that could be a starting point.
    POsitive tiller is more POpular and results from a stiffer bottom limb. Greater tiller would result from making the bottom limb even stiffer.
    Reducing tiller would bring the limbs nearer to equally stiff. And going even further so the top limb is stiffer than the bottom one would be getting into negative tiller.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    But whatever you do won't fix a wrongly positioned np or a badly tillered bow.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast