Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tillered Recurve Limbs

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    It really doesn't matter what the *actual* tiller the limbs were made with, because you are stuck with one riser, and one geometry, and one set of limbs, and, I suspect, you are only going to set them up to be shot in one way (for target, with/without stabilisation, Mediterranean loose).

So strap them together, with the riser with all it's gubbins on, set the tiller to between 2 and 5mm positive (more on the top), and go shoot. What you are looking to do is get the limbs to close together. The easiest way to appreciate this is by vibration of the limbs at the end of the shot, so adjust tiller until you have minimised this. You won't get rid of it all, because of the archer's various inconsistencies, but you can reduce it. You'll need to tinker with nocking point too, because this will change as tiller changes.

If you were looking to string walk, wanted to shoot 3 under or had a more unusual set of kit I would be offering different advice but right now you are overthinking this. I *would* however pay some attention to brace height, as riser geometry will affect what limbs need. Check the manual.

By the way, when I had KG kit, second hand, I just phoned them up and asked for a tiller recommendation. They were very nice about it.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

In the Gold
    Thanks
    The reason I posted the original question was that my colleague had been told that the limbs were sold as a 'pair of tillered limbs'. OK that's easy enough to understand that one is stiffer than the other (usually marked lower limb). What he did not know was the amount of tiller. We could not phone the supplier from the range and we were trying to make our best assessment in the situation. He was having real problems shooting the bow. So I suggested that he wound the limb bolt in until they stopped (ensuring that the limbs 'should' exit the riser at the same angles and measure the tiller), which is what he did. That is when he got the big tiller reading. At the end of the shoot, with him not being very happy with his results I advised him to do as 'Rik' posted in an earlier reply and put the limbs in the riser (but I suggested he then adjusted the limbs to get '0'tiller) then reverse the limbs and check the tiller again and see what the difference was, if any. I have not had any message from him today so I do not know if he has done it yet and the result if any. But thank you all for your replies and they may prove useful reading for other users of this site.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 950 Posts
    I just like to know why things happen as they do. I can't help feeling that way.
    Having a tiller difference of 15mm would get my interest, just as it attracted Albatross'.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Something else to check: are the limbs seating correctly? Sometimes slots can be too snug and the limb doesn't slide all the way down on to the adjustment bolt. It can be tricky to spot sometimes, too. 0.5mm off here can lead to a big tiller difference.
    Or the limbs are failing. Check for cracks in the cores around the fade outs and lifting laminates when the bow is strung.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

Thanks
    The one which got me recently: unlocked limb bolt...
    No readily visible issues, but when I checked tiller "wtf?". Then eyeballed the limb adjustments and realised one wasn't where I set it. It must have been working its way out for weeks.
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

In the Gold
    Thanks
    Just got an email from my friend. He has established, using the suggested method, that his correct tiller +6mm. All we have to do now is wait for this stormy weather to pass and he can check to see if it works for him!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast