Top rod???

Easytigers

Just getting back into archery again and have shot for a few months now. At the last club session I realised that most people shot with a top rod (kind of a short rod in the top section of the riser). I know I've probably not explained that very well but hoping people know what I mean!

So I wanted to know...what are the benefits and what do people use (I've googled top rods and looked at a couple of shops but can't find them)? Are they short rods or extenders - or have I not looked closely enough and shops have their own section for them?

Thanks in advance,

Russ

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Top rods are often a shorter rod than the side rods, and there are some purpose made ones with built in damping.

They work the same as any other rod. Adding a little weight in a way that gets the balance of the bow to where you want it.

You maybe see them less, where people have a flat v-bar setup, as that will probably need less top weight. They aren't obligatory... and not as popular as they used to be. Some online shops have a small "top rod" sub-section, some stick them under "dampers" or don't stock anything specific at all.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Because that's an unfortunately common reason for people adding stuff to their kit...

Easytigers

Hi there. TBH I wouldn't mind the bow being a bit heavier in the hand - especially when shooting at our new outdoor range (which is a bit like a wind tunnel!). I was thinking the bow would be more stable (am I wrong??? Please advise if so!!!).

joetapley

Hi there. TBH I wouldn't mind the bow being a bit heavier in the hand - especially when shooting at our new outdoor range (which is a bit like a wind tunnel!). I was thinking the bow would be more stable (am I wrong??? Please advise if so!!!).
If you are looking to add some extra vibration damping and increase the all up bow weight (balance) then you can use the top rod bushing. If you are looking to increase the the all up bow weight and increase the bow stability then you can use the bottom rod bushing. (or of course both :) ).

Zombie_Feynman

If you are looking to add some extra vibration damping and increase the all up bow weight (balance) then you can use the top rod bushing. If you are looking to increase the the all up bow weight and increase the bow stability then you can use the bottom rod bushing. (or of course both :) ).
Weight in the top rod bushing will also increase the rotation of the bow during the follow-through, and weight in the bottom rod bushing will slow it.

gster123

There used to be a reason, or theory behind the use of a top rod back in the day due to wind correction. Not sure about the actual result of it though.

Joe are they not doinker supremes?