Trimming a tab

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Does anyone have any handy hints for trimming a leather tab? I need to trim mine, but scissors don't seem sharp enough. I'm worried a craft knife might be too freeform.

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I used embroidery scissors to trim mine, they were very sharp right to the point to allow a delicate job :beer:

Macbow

I use a big pair of scary sharp, heavy duty dressmaking scissors - YES I do own dressmaking scissors. I like sewing but have never made my own dress.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
If you are trimming the tab to make it shorter, sharp scissors are as good as anything. If you are trying to widen the space between the top finger and the rest,a sharp craft knife works well if it ised used alongside a straight edge.Place the straight edge over the bulk of the leather and cut towards the end.(easier done left handed or cut from the back side of the leather)The thin strip can then be separated from the rest with scissors or the knife.

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
A strong craft knife and take your time - no need to cut it all the way throuhg first time. As geoff says, you can clean up with scissors. It's best if you have a rubber mat/self-healing cutting pad or something to work on to avoid blunting your knife.

Here's a pro's view of it :)
http://www.ehow.com/how_15421_cut-leather.html

Last edited:

OneWackyBow

The secret with a craft knife is a) use a new blade, b) make many shallow cuts rather than trying to go through in one go, and c) take your time!

wingate_52

Use a very sharp woodworking chisel, 25mm bevelled edge and a mallet. Strike once, cut once. The leather was probably cut with a stamp press tool in the factory. Scissors tend to chew up the edges of the tab. Seal the newly cut edges with hot candle wax to repel water and sweat.

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
I usually use my teeth. :raspberry

A stanley knife or craft knife with an nice new blade will do the trick. Remember to use the talcum powder trick first to give you an idea of what to trim off.