AIUK Ironman Challenge 2014
Discuss Tuning arrows or bows? at the Methodology, Tuning, Coaching etc. within Archery Interchange UK Forums; Having just read John Dudley's article on tuning X10 and Pro tours, has raised questions. ...
    It's an X
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

Tuning arrows or bows?

Having just read John Dudley's article on tuning X10 and Pro tours, has raised questions.
    He tunes his arrows by changing point weight until he gets the best results.
    Another method would be to change the speed of the bow to get best results. (by changing bow weight, string weight etc.)
    It seems to me, that both systems will produce their own "best " results.
    My question is; is one method better than the other?
    I suspect that an archer who is shooting at 59.9 lbs perhaps does not want to go lower,and isn't allowed to go higher, so would use the point weight method.
    Archers who shoot comfortably within their weight limits could choose either and have more options it seems.
    Is there something, that needs to be considered, that I don't know about? Something that would explain why one method is better; if there is one.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

In the Gold
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Hi Geof. For recurve, once the arrows are as good as I can get them using the button tension, I fine tune my arrows by adjusting pile weight (and to a lesser extent the arrow length). I'm at the stage where I dont like to change my poundage, even half a pound either way just does'nt feel right.
    I too read the John Dudley piece and found it excellent. I took his advice and with my compound I tried different pile weights to see how they grouped. The difference in group size was quite obvious.
    A wise man can learn from the biggest fool.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    It doesn't really matter with a compound if you use point or poundage methods.
    Recurve I do believe the best way is the method I have described before.

I need to get me some 110 grain tungstuns to try Dudley's method.
    [Beiter Nocks] [Urban Archery]

It's an X
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Thanks for your help Slowhand and Marcus.
    I can see why you would want to keep to the same poundage.
    At present, I'm in a position where a pound here or there would make little difference to me( I think I could handle it, in other words) I was just curious about the end results. I couldn't think of a reason why one method should give better results than the other, but was I missing something?
    By changing point weight he does change the FOC of the arrows. By changing poundage, that would stay the same. Perhaps that's significant.(I hadn't thought about that till now)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    I don't think a pound here or there matters to anyone, it's more of a ego thing I suspect.
    [Beiter Nocks] [Urban Archery]

It's an X
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Hi Marcus,
    I agree up to a point. For some ,on 60lb and can't legally shoot beyond 60lb, they can make their bows lighter but not heavier, so that side of tuning is a bit limited for them.
    I wonder if the hooter shooter can find a "best Point weight" for a bow set at a fixed poundage. Or does it show several arrows to be equally well suited? Could the tuning be less critical with a machine because it doesn't make mistakes?Do top flight archers find some work better than others because one set up reduces the effect of their small errors?