Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuning x7 arrows

In the Blue
    Thanks

Tuning x7 arrows

I started to setup my x7 arrows ready for indoors. I was setting up outdoors. I changed the pressure button, moved the rest arm, adjusted the nocking point.

I got it so all the fletched arrows were going in the 10 (on a 122 face at 20yards). I the shot the bareshaft. It went high and left with the nock level with the other arrows. I tried various adjustment but could only make this worse. At 30 yards the bareshaft misses the boss over the top left. All the fletched arrows went in the gold.

I decided to add more weight to effectively weaken the shaft. I needed to do that at home though. At home I can only shoot 10m or 15m. Before changing the weight I thought I'd try it out. Shooting at 10m the bareshaft went right in the middle with the fletched. At 15m it goes into the 9 up and left.

I added some weight (25gn which moved it from 78 to 103gn) at 15m this gets the bareshaft grouped with the others but the fletched all go in straight, the bareshaft has the nock over to the right.

Does this sound ok? I only plan to shoot them at 20yards / 18m for the indoor season.

As per my other thread, I will probably change the 50mm spin wings to 4" plastic vanes to try and straighten them faster.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. bimble's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nbuuifx View Post
    I started to setup my x7 arrows ready for indoors. I was setting up outdoors. I changed the pressure button, moved the rest arm, adjusted the nocking point.

I got it so all the fletched arrows were going in the 10 (on a 122 face at 20yards).
    That sounds like a good place to stop to me... you're not going to shoot bareshaft at comps, only fletched arrows...
    Knowing is half the battle, the other half is violence

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Haha, I know what you mean but I found tuning my bow with the carbons gave me another 20 points or so on a Portsmouth. Although they were going in the 10 they were splattered around the outskirts. They would be mostly 9s on a Portsmouth.

I've just been and added another 25gn to the bareshaft and one of the fletched arrows and have shot them over and over again with similar results. I'm shooting at 15m on a 60cm face. The arrows are grouped together perfectly now but the fletched arrow goes in with the nock slightly to the left every time and the bareshaft goes in with the nock slightly to the right. Nothing major but repeatable.

I got the height of the arrows to be matched by raising the nocking point slightly.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Good job they score point of impact and not shaft angle
    just point,pull & click the mouse button

Thanks
    I with Bimble - if you can get 6 in the gold at 20yds then despite the bare shaft results I think they are probably as close as you will get.

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,073 Times in 923 Posts
    I got it so all the fletched arrows were going in the 10 (on a 122 face at 20yards). I the shot the bareshaft. It went high and left with the nock level with the other arrows. I tried various adjustment but could only make this worse.
    I think this is an important observation and it seems to me that "Only make this worse" might mean you are trying to adjust too many things at once.

With the bow set up as it was to give those results, I would first try to get the bareshafts so they land below the fletched arrows and with the nock slightly high. Not the nock higher than the fletched arrows, but the nock higher than the point of the same bareshaft. That can be achieved by raising the nocking point. You have already discovered that, but it is usually the first thing to sort out rather than the last.
    Once the bareshafts land just below the fletched group, you can work on the bareshaft landing left of the group, and try to get it closer.
    One way is to increase draw weight, if that is a possiblity.
    When you examine the arrows after changing something, the main thing to look for is where the points land. If you consider which direction the fletched end is pointing, you are at the mercy of how well you release and what sort of boss you are shooting into.
    At a different distance, the fletchings me be pointing to the other side, and you could end up changing everything for no gain.
    It is reassuring to get these things right, as you are doing.
    It is also worth working in an order, one step at a time until you get good results. Good results get your equipment set up to your advantage. Getting all the arrows lined up perfectly is nice when it happens but adjusting buttons etc may never get those things to happen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast