V bar settings

wymkof

Can any one help? I have an AGF adjustable V-bar for a Helix. Can anyone advise to what angle it should be set to? Dose it need an extender rod? The long rod is a Bieter 30inch with twin 10 inch Bieter with end weights.

I have no idea as to what to set this to. Thanks for all the advice in advance.

Thunk

Ironman
wymkof said:
Can any one help? I have an AGF adjustable V-bar for a Helix. Can anyone advise to what angle it should be set to? Dose it need an extender rod? The long rod is a Bieter 30inch with twin 10 inch Bieter with end weights.

I have no idea as to what to set this to. Thanks for all the advice in advance.
All the down angle on the twin bars does is fine-tune the distance relationship between longrod weight(s), balance point of bow and the twinrods weight(s).

Do you need to change the angle? Do you need an extender? Only you, or an experienced archer watching you shoot can tell you that. It's how the bow reacts when YOU shoot it that counts - it will probably react differently to someone else shooting it because their form and technique will differ from yours.

Unless the bow is giving you grief, set the thing to a shallow angle - say 30 degrees below horizontal, make sure both sides look the same - and forget it. Concentrating on form will give much better results than playing around with these things unless you are already shooting 1300 FITA!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Most archers find out what suits them best by experimenting. Where yours will end up is personal ,but a couple of things are worth saying here.
If the back rods are too close to the string and too high, one could easily hit your bow arm during the follow through.
The further back the weights are, the more likely it is that the bow could tip back on release.
Most fixed V-bars set the back rods tilting down about at 17 degrees or near 40degrees or they are level.
Most fixed v-bars give an angle to the side that is around 45 degrees(each side)
Perhaps copying one of the fixed set ups, would be a good place to start.

SimonW

If in doubt, just copy someones setup at your local club who is better than you, failing that, copy the setup of an international archer (pictures from the net or magazine).

This might sound flippant but in truth almost everyone does this.

Or, look at pp43 of The Heretic Archer (Chapter 3.2 - How to stabilize your Olympic Bow) and see

"... Yes, there is one and only one way to properly stabilize the olympic bow, and all other methods have limits or are simply totally wrong."

There is no absolute right (or wrong) - whatever works for you is right - for you. It it feels good then you've got something to work on and build on. Results should follow. If it feels wrong then either it is wrong and you'll have to change it or you'll have to change your technique.

So much of archery is about how you feel, particularly confidence. A confident archer can shoot 10's with (apparently) poor technique and (apparently) poor equipment.

An unconfident archer with great technique and the best equipment can still shoot badly.......

Simon

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
SimonW said:
"... Yes, there is one and only one way to properly stabilize the olympic bow, and all other methods have limits or are simply totally wrong."
I remember when people first read the original article Vittorio wrote on stabilisers. Somone suggested to him he ought to sell stickers with the message:
"your stabilisers are wrong - signed Michele Frangilli"
to stick on the bulk of equipment you see around... :)

wingate_52

As people write, it is all a bit of trial and error. You know it is correct when it feels balanced and the arrows go where you aim them. Dont go for too much weight, gradually build up the weight, possibly increasing limb # at the same time.

buzz lite beer

The best set up I have found for stabilization is to set up like that of the top level shooters most of there set ups are very similar, if you can hold your bow with the longrod pointing vertically to the ground with your finger wrapped around the opposite side the throat of the grip with one finger then you're on your way. make adjustments to wieghts etc. Then hold your bow upside down, ie limbs vertical with bottom limb at the top and wrap your finger arround the long rod at a point 1" from where the longrod bushing is, the long rod should remain at 90 deg and your set up will be well good, so mess round with weights and angles till you you achieve this.