Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
Discuss Wearing sunglasses whilst shooting? at the Methodology, Tuning, Coaching etc. within Archery Interchange UK Forums; Originally Posted by Microphonic Cool. I do have a big nose too I guess what ...
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Microphonic View Post
    Cool. I do have a big nose too

I guess what I'm getting at, is would wearing sunglasses force me to adopt a 'correct' head position, or at least show me an incorrect one quickly, or is that not quite how it works?
    As with others - I have glasses and prescription shades. ALL the opticians I've visited now know all about dominant eye, and LH/RH archery stance.
    Ideally your eyeware should not influence your head position, nor obscure any part of the target - that's down to a consistent anchor point.

A few years ago I tried varifocals, and realised that a perfectly focussed centre could influence my head position, and become a sighting aid. I then considered that a horizon and vertical on my dominant eye lens would help with head position and alignment.
    However you then need the frames to be in an absolutely consistent position on your head.
    I was also told that any such innovations (and I've got a few more) would be banned.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by theplasticsurgeon; 08-09-13 at 12:36 PM. Reason: correction

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

In the Blue AIUK subscriber.
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Sure, Rayban Aviators. No problems at all. Kisik Lee says that sunglasses are an archer's best friend, but I'm not sure I would go that far. They do what they do when not shooting, saving your eyes from glare when looking in the direction of the sun (not straight at it, obviously).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alun For This Useful Post:

Microphonic (08-09-13)

It's an X AIUK subscriber. Whitehart's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alun View Post
    Sure, Rayban Aviators. No problems at all. Kisik Lee says that sunglasses are an archer's best friend, but I'm not sure I would go that far. They do what they do when not shooting, saving your eyes from glare when looking in the direction of the sun (not straight at it, obviously).
    Sunglasses can be a great aid for consistency when shooting a bow and we are not talking about the benefits dark lenses......ask yourself why most shoot them with a bridge on the nose in preference to the ones that do not interfere with vision..

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Interesting. Thanks all. Yes I believe Kisik Lee says a squarer head position to the target is better. I guess its just about not moving your head, whatever position it's in, and if you use a comfortable and natural position, your less likely to move.
    CONCENTRATE but don't THINK!

In the Blue AIUK subscriber.
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Yes, I took it he meant you could use them as an aid in string and head alignment. But an archer's best friend? Surely that would be a well-trained Golden Retriever with a metal detector stuck up its nose...
    Microphonic likes this.

It's an X
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Using frames that have a bridge can be useful. I find that when the sun is at the wrong position, the glare from the frame can obscure the target.

In the Blue
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    I've wondered about the cycling-style visor shades that are a single sheet of plastic with no joins to get in the way.

Try looking at the edge of the (conventional) sunglasses, and check if what you see through them matches the world you see down the side – pull them off your nose a bit if necessary. If it doesn't match up it means the light is bending and your sight marks are going to move. The effect is likely to get stronger as you move closer to the edge, so the position of the glasses on your face becomes something else that you have to be consistent about. This will also change between different pairs.

This is bound to happen with prescription glasses, because it's what they're designed to do, and with even quite expensive ordinary sunglasses quality control at the edges isn't likely to be seen as important so you may get up/down effects as well.

You can probably tell I'm a unreformed bridge-of-the-nose archer.
    Last edited by JohnoFon; 08-09-13 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    i usually wear rather thick oakley gascan like sunglasses but i couldn't see over the huge nose-bridge. I then recently bought a cheap pair of polarized wireframes sunglasses like the one in the pic. the type that sit close to your face and it was perfect. don't even need to look through the nose bridge, i look straight through it as if it wasn't there

KGrHqRoQE_yuj4iNQBP_vkrfTd60_57__88817.1348256776.1280.1280.JPG

best bet is to try it out. cycling visor type sunglasses usually have thick nose pieces that might obstruct your view. then again, we don't have the same physical attributes

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    I wear prescription glasses with a transitions coating that polarises in bright light. The only drawback is my useless eyesight!!!

Thinking about getting a blank for the right eye (LH bowman!!). Has anyone experimented with that?
    Keep the pointy end away from you!!!

In the Blue AIUK subscriber. Strandline's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Something else you may wish to consider is that when using sunglasses your pupil will be dilated and particularly if you wear dark sunglasses this could give you a less consistent string picture (from Simon Needham's "Archery:The Art of Repetition").

Having said that, I wear sunglasses nearly all the time, even when the sun has gone in. Could explain a lot!
    Brian
    West Sussex

In the Blue
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    I've worn glasses since I was 4 years old which has been a bit of a pain, I can tell you.
    Used to play snooker and without the 'Dennis Taylor' lenses was never much good.
    These days I have prescription sunglasses which I wear basically unless it's dark.
    Anyway, glasses or sunglasses, I find the edge of the lens itself can get in the way.
    My prescription is fairly thick lenses and at the edge the diffract and distort a bit.
    Not as thick as they used to be though - technology has moved on!
    If I didn't have to wear them I wouldn't so don't handicap your shooting unless you have to!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    As mentioned in other threads, the archer should be a predator, and turn the head as much as possible to face the target during the shot. Coach Lee's premise (which I fully subscribe to) is that the neurological element of head/eyeball position affects the ultimate strength and coordination an athlete can bring to bear. If the eyeballs are to the extreme edge of the socket (due to failure to turn head to target sufficiently) then the archer will be physically weaker. By how much? I don't know, how much are you willing to surrender during a shot? 2% 10% 20% ??
    In addition, the eyes are linked to the inner ear apparatus to some degree, and tilting the head so that the eyebrows are not level sends mixed signals to the brain about equilibrium, affecting balance. By how much? I don't know, how much are you willing to surrender during a shot? 2% 10% 20% ??
    Removing glare and improving your ability to see the target during bright sun conditions is a great thing, but on the other hand, wearing very dark glasses diminishes your depth perception (your "3D" vision). By how much? I don't know, how much are you....yadda yadda...
    Keep giving up a few percent here and a few percent there and pretty soon you are talking more than chump change!
    It is a fact that a number of excellent U.S. archers including Guy Krueger and George Tekmitchov were never able to shoot with sunglasses, UNTIL they moved to the NTS/B.E.S.T. methodology developed by Kisik Lee.
    An archer has a lot of things to overcome in order to achieve a personal level of excellence. Being like a predator is certainly one fairly straight-forward way to go about being the best you can be.
    One funny thing is that archers who have always worn glasses and then became archers, innately learned that they had to turn head to target sufficiently, from the git go, and most likely solved the problem by yes, turning the head more. Those that did not need glasses learned to shoot a certain way and then inflexibly could not comfortably adapt to the sunglasses. Be a predator.
    Microphonic likes this.
    An atypical archery coach

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TexARC For This Useful Post:

Microphonic (15-09-13)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Roaaaaaarrrrrrrr!!!

buzz lite beer likes this.
    Evil cat rules!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Be a predator....nice
    CONCENTRATE but don't THINK!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chuffalump View Post
    Roaaaaaarrrrrrrr!!!
    I have never seen a cat looking at a bird out of the corner of his eyes - always fiercely intent, mrowring quietly, facing the prey head on...check out these examples...you may see one of your kin...
    An atypical archery coach

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TexARC For This Useful Post:

chuffalump (15-09-13)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12