Wearing sunglasses whilst shooting?

Microphonic

Can you / do you wear sunglasses whilst shooting (recurve) ?

I tried it the other day but the frame by the nose hole bit obscures the sight.

Does this mean I have a bad head position? Or is it just up to the individual?

I quite like archers wearing sunglasses, it's harder to tell their emotions in competition.

What do you think?

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Well I wear ordinary glasses while shooting and so do loads of other people without issue.

When I'm choosing the frames I always adopt a shooting pose and make sure that none of the frame is in the way. It always amuses the staff in the optician's.

Apophysis

I don't know what its like to shoot without glasses as I wear them alk the time. I wear sunglases when shooting towards the sun as otherwise I get blinded and my arrows go 2ft to the right.

If the bridge of your sunnies is obscuring your sight, yiu probably need to rotate your head more. Or shoot in the rain.

Strandline

What dvd8n said. I wear glasses or prescription sunglasses everytime I shoot. Just make sure that when you get them the frames don't get in the way.

Microphonic

Cool. I do have a big nose too :)

I guess what I'm getting at, is would wearing sunglasses force me to adopt a 'correct' head position, or at least show me an incorrect one quickly, or is that not quite how it works?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I have to wear sunglasses in all sorts of conditions. I wear Endura Marin as the frame is invisible and the nose clips can be removed so the view ahead is as if I am not wearing them, apart from the comfort of getting rid of the glare.

Phil Reay

I have to wear glasses normally but due to a neck that no longer rotates enough, i can't see passed the bridge so I can't wear them while shooting. Not a problem while i'm actually shooting, the problem comes when i'm getting ready. I shoot barebow and looking at my tab on the string is a blur so getting my thumbnail in the right place is fun.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Or a wrong one if you have to turn your head too much to see past the bridge... ;) be much easier to get a pair of sun glasses that doesn't require a different head position from when you shoot without.

I guess what I'm getting at, is would wearing sunglasses force me to adopt a 'correct' head position, or at least show me an incorrect one quickly, or is that not quite how it works?

buzz lite beer

I'm a prescription spectacle wearer, I think it all depends on how your are initially taught as to what position your head is angled, I have heard of advised methods of instruction requiring turning the head to a position were you can just see the edge of the boss or even the edge of the gold over the bridge of your nose, I personally don't employ this method and my face is actually squarer on to the target, this has the added advantage of being able to use the central area of my spectacles that are actually better optically for my vision than the very edges, the only "correct" head position that exists is a consistent one. :)

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
I got animal prescription shades specifically for shooting. They are wrap round style, dont get in the way although if its hot they can get a bit misted.

look a lot like these...

theplasticsurgeon

Cool. I do have a big nose too :)

As with others - I have glasses and prescription shades. ALL the opticians I've visited now know all about dominant eye, and LH/RH archery stance.
Ideally your eyeware should not influence your head position, nor obscure any part of the target - that's down to a consistent anchor point.

A few years ago I tried varifocals, and realised that a perfectly focussed centre could influence my head position, and become a sighting aid. I then considered that a horizon and vertical on my dominant eye lens would help with head position and alignment.
However you then need the frames to be in an absolutely consistent position on your head.
I was also told that any such innovations (and I've got a few more) would be banned.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

Alun

Sure, Rayban Aviators. No problems at all. Kisik Lee says that sunglasses are an archer's best friend, but I'm not sure I would go that far. They do what they do when not shooting, saving your eyes from glare when looking in the direction of the sun (not straight at it, obviously).

Whitehart

Sure, Rayban Aviators. No problems at all. Kisik Lee says that sunglasses are an archer's best friend, but I'm not sure I would go that far. They do what they do when not shooting, saving your eyes from glare when looking in the direction of the sun (not straight at it, obviously).
Sunglasses can be a great aid for consistency when shooting a bow and we are not talking about the benefits dark lenses......ask yourself why most shoot them with a bridge on the nose in preference to the ones that do not interfere with vision..

Microphonic

Interesting. Thanks all. Yes I believe Kisik Lee says a squarer head position to the target is better. I guess its just about not moving your head, whatever position it's in, and if you use a comfortable and natural position, your less likely to move.

Alun

Yes, I took it he meant you could use them as an aid in string and head alignment. But an archer's best friend? Surely that would be a well-trained Golden Retriever with a metal detector stuck up its nose...