x23 2314 - strange bare shaft feed back

dottorfoggy

started in a couple of days shooting with those shaft and i have a strange feedback by the bare shaft

i have now 44# @33", 2314 x23 cutted to 32" 1/4 and 190 grain poin

as you can see in the picture under here, my first test whit the medium spring in the plunger, at 10 meters

the strange things is that if i tune softer the pring will fly more on the left the bare shaft....so i decide to try the harder spring and screwing to the bottom the bare shaft now regroup with other shaft but will land in the same way.... at 18mt too

point to heavy? stiff shaft?

Attachments

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Don't worry too much about which way the arrows are pointing, it is where they land that matters. The bareshaft is very slightly left of the fletched arrow, which shows the arrows could be a little stiff. However, with only one arrow and one bare shaft it is difficult to tell. I would shoot a group of arrows and see where they group, and shoot more than one bareshaft to see where they land. As you increase the distance you are shooting the two sets will spread out more if they are too stiff.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Try it at 30m? 10m is way below the recommended distance for bare shaft.

It does look like a stiff reaction (assuming right handed), but the way to deal with that would be by adjusting the draw weight rather than button pressure. The button is just a tweak.

Caveats: a different centreshot might produce different results, if the shafts are that stiff, more or less in line might work better, but look out for clearance. Clearance issues throw the whole thing off.
And if you're torquing the bow, that could also mess with results.

dottorfoggy

This picture is just to show how the bare shaft hit the target at 10 and 18 mt, i can't shoot more than 18 right now :( , I have 6 arrow now and 2 are bate shaft. Yesterday I shot 80 arrow with the same result, I just get the bare shaft in the same spot like others. Today i will try again, let's see..

Rog600

FWIW (still fairly new to archery) I had similar issues with new, bigger diameter shafts. As Rik suggests, a tweak of the centre shot soon had them landing straight(er) when the idiot behind the bow did his bit better...

dfrois

Supporter
Supporter
Here is what I would od if I were in your shoes:
1- dismount the button from the riser, and measure the centershot. I use the distance between the contact face ring and the tip. Measure precisely, with calipers or some such precision tool. A ruler will not do.
2- Increase the distance you just measured, by 0.5 mm or so. Shoot fletched and unfletched. Adjust centershot as needed. You may have to adjust the spring a bit, but only after you're close to something that works.
3- If all else fails, you can always return to the original setting, courtesy of the initial measurement.

Based on the photo you posted, I would expect to see a "straighter" bareshaft, and probably a truer separation between fletched and unfletched. But, as Rik said, the best way to correct for too stiff/too soft shafts is changing bow weight, not button, be it position (centershot) or spring tension.

YMMV...

dottorfoggy

i will try next week to do a better setup, this week-end i have my first match in stockholm :poulies:i'm so ecxited !!!

actually the bare shat at 10mt match perfectly fletched shaft, but at 18mt still on the 7/8 on the left, but fletched shaft actually fly really stright, in the last days, i get an avg of 280/283 on 300, i'm so happy if you think that i start to shot in march :D

btw i will follow your tips next week, i need more arrows, i just have 6 right now

dottorfoggy

I was playing with the center shot yesterday and the plunger spring, but I het the same result, I will try more this evening, yesterday at the end I have screwed limbs a little bit, maybe can help. But I'm thinking to change directly to A\C\E

TexARC

Suggest you get Tuning for Tens from the TSAA website. Play with it awhile. THEN try again. I suggest this because the center-shot setting of the plunger is often far beyond the comprehension of the lay-archer, and it's highly likely from the evidence you have provided that the setting MIGHT be off a mite...

dottorfoggy

Maybe I found the solution, after trying a lot and testing, can be the stabilisation that need and upgrade, is a little bit too short and lighter compered on my bow and size. Playing with some weights and extra rods this week I found a better setup and stability. The bare shaft finally hit the target straight and in the same spot! :D

WP_20161130_20_10_29_Pro.jpg

Not the bare shaft here but it looks good now :D ok, not the picture rotation :p

aquatoo

Almost always the bare shaft landing with the nocks out of line is because the shaft is leaving the string at this angle. The swift cure is to change the bracing height so that the string is directly behind the shaft when the arrow is released from it. In your case you probably needed to reduce it slightly.