Everybody has done this at some time or another. (I hope).

Sparkie

I had just bought a small Foam Boss for myself, set it up for a 20yds shoot at a Scout camp site when there was no one there.

Beautiful night, no wind and no midges.

Bliss. :huge:

Loaded the bow up, aimed at the gold and let loose.

Arrow richocheted off of the top of the Boss taking a chunk of the wood with it and landed about 50 yds behind the target right up to the fletchings.

Stupid me had forgot to reset the sight back from 70m. :duh:

Whit a numpty.

R

rgsphoto

No, not me, I have never made any mistakes in archery what so ever...yeah right:boggled: have some :cake:

napolienne

Fonz Awardee
Classic. Last time I did that my arrow ended up in incredibly long grass, only to be found a week later when my dad presents me with its mangled remains and informs me that I now have a mower to fix. :duh:

ade53

did something like that shooting 50 m the following week shoot indoors at 30m very loud thud as I missed target and embed arrow in crossbar of handball goal behind target:blush: Took 10 minutes to dig it out

Marcus26

I had a foam target setup in my spare bedroom/dining room. Down the hallway I could get 15m.
One day I shot, BANG! What happened? Sight was set at 40m.
Arrow (Carbon Tech) was toasted and there was a big hole in the wall.
I expected my wife to kill me (being a rental house) but she was OK with it. We fixed it up and got a recommendation from our real estate agent when we moved.

Frommy

We had an under 16 State Champion archer stuff his sight setting up at 40 metres, and the arrow went into the the 18" long grass on the adjoining property, 45 metres behind the butts.

An initial scan of the area could not locate the shaft, so he decided to replicate the shot, twice, with spotters to see where the first arrow might have fallen.

Guess what the punch line is?

:(

Brian

Max

Would you live next door to an archer knowing all this?:thumbsdow

I placed my small practice boss beside my daughters Wendy house (minus daughter I hasten to add!), and used the big garden shed as a backstop. Safe as houses I thought. Then I also did a 'Sparkie' (hey look, you're famous already!). Arrow misses the top of the boss, but hits the sloping roof of the wendy house and goes vertical - a long way! Then it turns over and comes back down and lands just over the fence in the area of garden where my neighbour's little 3 year old usually plays - no kid in sight, thank God, but how do I remove the evidence.

Choices......

(1) I do nothing - he finds it (BIG bloke), knows where it came from and pummels me into the ground - result = Dead.

(2) I try to sneak into the garden via the gate - he catches me creeping round where his kids play - result = Dead.

(3) I try to do a 'Mission Impossible' climb into his garden over a 6 foot fence hidden by a handy bush and poke the arrow out with a stick. Hmmmm - sounds possible. Picture a short, fat 53 year old trying to oil his way over a large fence - this was no SAS mission for sure. The noise when I landed in a heap on the lawn would have woken the dead. I made it back alive, but the look the wife gave me when I puffed into the kitched, black and blue, covered in mud and twigs was something to see!

whisky

Supporter
Supporter
Max - I presume he still caught you because you were honour bound to leave the box of chocolates if skulking around like someone from the SAS?

Flandyman

I shoot barebow recurve - no sights to forget to reset but !!

Stringwalk - same effect when you forget to change! lucky I was on a field course but getting it out of the tree halfway up the trunk was fun 20yds behind the butt.:sigh:

Max

whisky said:
Max - I presume he still caught you because you were honour bound to leave the box of chocolates if skulking around like someone from the SAS?
Note quite, but the footprints on his lawn, bits of torn trousers and one flattened cat that went mental every time it saw me were probably good enough to give him a good idea!