Sighters

Mugs

I needed to check my sights marks for 80 yards ready for a Long National round at the club. Set my bow up and a spotting scope. Asked a fellow archer to spot for me. Settled down to loose the first arrow - hit - spotter reported "3 o'clock red". Loosed the 2nd - spotter "same place 3 o'clock red". Decided to adjust the windage a bit. Sent the rest down - spotter "nice group a about 3 o'clock red".
Went down to collect my arrows, what did I find? a nice group, all at 6 o'clock red.
Moral:- If you get some one to spot for check that they can tell the time!!!!

rohenwto

Try a spotter who insists on using the points of a compass.:sigh:
I keep getting my NNE mixed with my NNW not to mention my ENE with my WNW:yuck:

Stace

Once, when explaining crankshaft rotation to a class of students, one piped up and asked "but how do you know which way is clockwise?"

I blame digital watches too.

wingate_52

Trust yourself. Others are not as concerned as you are yourself. Not everyone is as reliable as you. Set up your scope on the line and use it. One of our archers was shooting on 1 target and trying to spot his arrows on a different target. He could hear them hit but could not see them. So check thrice, measure twice and let loose just the once.

Flandyman

Stace said:
Once, when explaining crankshaft rotation to a class of students, one piped up and asked "but how do you know which way is clockwise?"

I blame digital watches too.
was that clockwise looking from the flywheel to the front or the front to the flywheel ?

stever

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Try a spotter who insists on using the points of a compass.:sigh:
I keep getting my NNE mixed with my NNW not to mention my ENE with my WNW:yuck:
Trick we used in the Army to help people with compass points Never Eat Shreaded Wheat. NSEW in the way you read.

Last edited:

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
[SIZE=-1]Naughty Elephants Squirt Water[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] there is a whole range of less savoury alternatives... :D
[/SIZE]

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Most people know North from south. At school I concentrated on East/West.
When they are correctly placed, you can see WE;a word We use often. If they get them reversed, EW, they don't make a word at all.

C

Cimbian

was that clockwise looking from the flywheel to the front or the front to the flywheel ?
Gotcha!

Some engines have the flywheel at the 'front' and others at the 'back'!

I tell my 13 year old to wind his sight in or out and he says "which way", I say "clockwise" and he says "which way"! I used to tell him undoing was like taking the lid off the ketchup... Now they fit a flip-top and I'm running out of analogies!