Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: wooden arrows points problem

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 871 Posts
    I keep seeing the funny side of the title and think that the problem is with the wooden points.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

In the Red
    Thanks
    just an update....

After first posting this thread, I moved off 'super' glue. and bought some epoxy glue.

at the same time, i cleaned all the piles i had with white spirits.

I have made about 18 arrows since ( not a lot i know but im a newbie) and not one pile has come off since.

to clean them, im probably being lazy. i dribble a little white spirits into a the cap. dip some twisted kitchen towel in it. rub that inside the pile.

then rub a little bit of sandpaper inside. and then dry towell, then finally a bit of dowell, that is a bit too thin for the pile, and give that a rub around.
    whole process takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute per pile.

May not be the correct way to do it, but it works ( so far)

I hate the smell of epoxy, so i have used some iron insert on a few to see ( bought it from merlin amongst a load of other stuff) and the few I have use3d that on have stayed on as well. the epoxy was a lot cheaper though, so i may just put up with the smell when i run out

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by geoffretired View Post
    I keep seeing the funny side of the title and think that the problem is with the wooden points.
    arguably you could say that it was, the points ( or tapers) weren't sticking to the piles :P

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bolerus For This Useful Post:

rmonclermc10071 (Today)

In the White
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudzi93 View Post
    If you want your points to be stuck on permanently, use something like araldite 2 part epoxy glue. I used araldite precision on my arrows and I couldn't get them off even when I wanted too.
    I'll second that. I got pre built arrows from a shop and they all came with loose points. Stuck them back on with 2 part epoxy and haven't really had a problem since, apart from loosing one point in the wooden frame of a target boss.

In the Gold
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Just an update from me too - I've been using TopHat screw on piles and haven't had an issue at all.

I lost a few before I realised it was a bad idea to try to replace piles on wooden arrows - obivously they're effectively self-tapping the threads on the wooden shaft and if you remove and replace the pile too many times (more than a couple) then the threads on the wood weaken too much.

So I stopped doing that and haven't had an issue since.
    non quod, sed quomodo.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Riceburner For This Useful Post:

rmonclermc10071 (Today)

Thanks
    I use the reparrow repair shafts to mend mine.. The are reamed out to accept a tapered arrow shaft so a little water proof glue and cut to size stick on a new pile and your arrow is ready to go again. Costs about 75p to repair an arrow. I've tried both the Wallnut and cedar reparrow and the wallnut ones seem to be the toughest... Or if you have 100 quid to spare make them yourself using a arrow-fix tool.. Personally I think that's a lot of arrows...
    With our thoughts we make the world

In the Green
    Thanks
    I don't use glue i use timber creek screw on and tighten them with pliers they don't come off infact when trying to change the point I found that i overdid it with the pliers and now they bit into the wood so well they wont twist back off wit the pliers.

Had to make up a set of new shafts.

If your going to use glue no point buying the screw might as well buy taper oh and you should not use super glue you use hot melt.

Another reason I wen't for screw trying to avoid pyroteknics but it looks like I may have to heat them to get them off anyway...oh dear.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234