Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Indoor classification - why are ladies and gents scores different?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fbirder View Post
    There's no need to search for a reason. It's obvious - more men submit scores (used to determine classification) than do women.

If you take two populations who have the same mean and the same standard deviation for some measured parameter; but population A has 10 times the number of members as population B then the highest (and lowest) values for that parameter will come from population A.

Unless the classification calculations take into account the different population sizes then this could easily explain the observed discrepancy.
    I have to admit that was my first supposition too...
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 905 Posts
    Hi Fbirder,
    If the two populations had the same number of members; would they produce very similar scores? With draw weight being less of an issue, and weather being removed from the shooting, should men and women shoot the same scores?
    If that is the case, why not work out the indoor classifications from the results of men and women added?
    Are they kept separate just because......they were always worked out separately;as women and men never shot against one another.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It's a throw back to the inequality days.( or a continuity of those ideas)

In the Gold AIUK subscriber. fbirder's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffretired View Post
    Hi Fbirder,
    If the two populations had the same number of members; would they produce very similar scores? With draw weight being less of an issue, and weather being removed from the shooting, should men and women shoot the same scores?
    If that is the case, why not work out the indoor classifications from the results of men and women added?
    Are they kept separate just because......they were always worked out separately;as women and men never shot against one another.
    I can't think of any good reason why mean should perform better than women under those circumstances. Doing some stats of a year's worth of results might show if there were a difference in average scores.

During London 2012 I was a Games Maker at the shooting events. During one I was chatting to one of the competitors and asked him why men and women compete separately. He said that they used to shoot together, but the women started winning everything. So it was decided to split it.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Heehee, I have heard that said in jest about something other than archery.
    However, if it is the case that women could shoot better than men, it still leaves the question, what makes them better?
    There are all sorts of ideas going around as to why, but nothing that explains fully( or have I missed that?). Things like women shoot against women so they don't get the challenge of shooting against higher scoring men.
    In events that involve running against a clock for world records etc, men have the better times. Throwing events and jumping heights or distances have world bests in the male camp. Would that change if they competed against one another and not just against a clock or tape measure with genders separated during competition?

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. bimble's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fbirder View Post
    During London 2012 I was a Games Maker at the shooting events. During one I was chatting to one of the competitors and asked him why men and women compete separately. He said that they used to shoot together, but the women started winning everything. So it was decided to split it.
    Considering men & women were shooting separate rounds at the 1904 Olympics (double York for the men/double National for the women) I suspect they weren't talking from experience... saying that, there'd be less hurt male pride if they weren't being directly beaten by the women...
    Knowing is half the battle, the other half is violence

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast