Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Straight fletch with less straight arrows

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
    jerry RTD, you can sometimes see both out of a compound with a badly spined arrow released badly when you've got a good degree of offset / helical. The arrow will decreasingly spiral towards the target while describing smaller circles around the nodes so you get a weird double spin with a fast spinning arrow having a slow spinning trajectory.
    Never had that. Always did a bare shaft tune. I was usually able to get two fletched and one unfletched touching at 20 yds so any bad arrow flight was down to me.
    just point,pull & click the mouse button

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

Thanks
    I used to deliberately shoot short and underspined with an overdraw. I had a slow bow which I wasn't overly bothered about bending and I'd had the arrows cut too short by mistake. I've now got better bows with correctly spined arrows.
    Anything closer than 20 yards and they were useless, I had a couple of correct arrows for those. 26 1/2 inch Goldtip XT hunters are remarkably resilient.
    Noli habere bovis, vir. - Bart

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 871 Posts
    geoffretired, I think we need more terms, as I said above you can get multiple modes of movement each individually I would also call fishtailing and porpoising.
    I propose "banjoing" for the gross movement as you plucked the string.
    Hi Andy,
    I can imagine there are more things to consider, but at present I seem to be trying to work out what is meant by fishtailing and porpoising.
    At this point in the thread we seem to have two different applications of each of those two terms.
    Without a consensus, we are just getting confusing messages across.
    When I watch ultra slow motion videos it is easy to see side to side flexing in recurves and vertical flexing in compounds. The fishtailing etc seem less easy to spot and the movements get complicated by the flexing and the string's waving travel to the bow.

In the White
    Thanks
    I think following the Easton Tuning Guide where there are excellent diagrams and explanations of fishtailing and porpoising is the way to go. It was this that made me wonder about the oscillation of the tip which as someone described earlier is really a spiral induced by offset or helical fletching, hence the query about fletching straight maybe better. Need to experiment I suppose but I'm not consistent enough to trust my own findings

Thanks
    OK - apologies to geoffretired for being a bit glib. What I actually think is happening is if you fletch straight then the movement induced by the roll off the fingers setting up the oscillation would be in the x direction rather than the circular. I doubt if the amplitude would change simply from vane configuration, what would be happening is that the extra drag on the vanes induced by the offset or helical forcing rotation would tend to correct any movement faster, rather than it being a function of rotation. Hence why big vanes correct faster than small ones and big helical faster than big straight.
    Noli habere bovis, vir. - Bart

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 871 Posts
    Hi Andy, no need to apologise; I was interested in your ideas.
    One of the things that happens when technical stuff is being discussed is, that I get a one track mind. I just have to know what the answer is to a question that has arisen out of the previous posts.
    Is "fishtailing" what I think it is or has jerryRTD given the right meaning? All I know is that I have used the definition I gave for over 35 years.
    What I actually think is happening is if you fletch straight then the movement induced by the roll off the fingers setting up the oscillation would be in the x direction rather than the circular
    What I think about that is that the oscillation is set up by the power from the string coming onto the back of the arrow so suddenly there is no time for the pile to start moving at the same time. Imagine the same launch from the same archer using a 5lb bow. There would be no buckling of the shaft as the impact/force would be too low. It is similar with compounds with low holding weight. The power comes on gently at first. The pile has time to get moving as there is no buckling at that stage. By the time the big push arrives there is no sudden jolt but enough for a slight buckling.
    As the buckling happens on the recurve, it is to the side, pushing the middle of the shaft towards the button. That happens because of the string rolling off the fingers to one side of the pile. With the arrow on the string there can be no rotation, until after the separation.
    If fletching size changes anything, it changes what happens when the arrow is free to rotate.
    I don't think fletchings change the flexing or oscillations of the shaft, they are already there when the nock is tied to the string. Fletchings change any waving movements, whether they are called fishtailing or weather cocking.
    Increasing off set changes the amount of drag( I think) so the tail gets pulled into line with the direction of travel, more strongly. Usually that is at the cost of speed over the ground.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast