Thread: How not to do it!

Thanks

How not to do it!

I present my least proud moment to date. It is one I've not shared with the community (or even my club, although with at least one club member on the boards that's going to happen).

In my early days of archery (some point last year), I'd come into some money and decided that I could afford a prospective gander round a shop to look at and potentially try different bows. Having read about the different styles of compound shooting within the NFAS, and progressing nicely with bare bow, I decided to take a serious look at compound off the finger with Bow Hunter. After having had a chat with the nice sales man, I decided to get measured up. So there I am (in a freezing cold showroom), we measure my rough draw length tweak the bow to match and the sales man says "ok, lets draw the bow to check the length". I put my fingers to the string (no tab), and start pulling. I reach my draw length, all fine and am about to return the string when... You can guess what happened next... *TWANG* I loose feeling in my fingers and the bow goes bang. I managed to dry fire the bow before I'd even put an arrow on it let alone bought it!

Adrenaline, shame and humiliation came (as well as loss of blood from my fingers) and I could only apologise (and offer to pay for damage). The bow had to be pressed and all the gubbins checked and restrung. Luckily this was a bow that they use for newbies and measuring and no harm was done. I left on good terms with the shop and needless to say I did not buy a compound that day. I have however shopped with this particular shop a number of times since and it can be a point of comedy when I walk in.

Up until recently when people have asked "have you ever shot a compound?", my response was "not really..."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to vivilanco For This Useful Post:

Rik (06-02-18)

Thanks
    I won't say a word. Plus side - you now know how horrible a dry fire is and that the weights going to come on quick if you creep. Next one is a derail - check if you've still got fingers and a head. But, with those cam grooves I've a feeling it will not be this bow that gives you the experience as they could fit two strings in it.
    Noli habere bovis, vir. - Bart

Thanks
    I'm happy to admit it was early last year so I've come to appreciate the finer points of now owning a compound. It took a while to work up the nerve to getting one.