Thread: Components for junior arrows

In the Blue
    Thanks

Components for junior arrows

My Son is starting to have a bit of a go at archery and my daughter donated her old set of alloy arrow for him to use.

As the fletchings are in need of repair, I was going to replace them with colours of his choosing. There are also only 4 with nocks on.

So I need to order some fletchings and nocks.

The arrows themselves are Easton Jazz 1413.

When we originally purchased these arrows, they came with Easton nocks on, however these damaged very quickly and it was pointed out that they were a bit tight on the string. We sought advice from the shop we got them from and ended up buying a set of AAE Plastinocks which fitted on the arrows and fitted the string. These were then used for a year or so and over that time some got damaged and were replaced with spares but they have all been used now.

The AAE nocks were 9/32" nocks.

Now I've just looked at the Easton site and it seems to suggest that I should be fitting 7/32" Nocks. The old ones did end up wider than the shaft of the arrow.

Would something like this be correct:
    http://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/stand...nock-7-32.html

It says they are a snap on nock - I had to glue the previous ones on. Does snap on sound correct for the Jazz arrows?

The fletchings fitted before were EP16 - should I get the same again - or is it worth using the opportunity to fit something different? For a junior, is smaller better? I have a load of Bohning 1.5" Shield Vanes that I could fit instead - would they be better?

Thanks

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 888 Posts
    Hi, The nocks you linked to look fine, they are taper fit and glue onto the shafts. The " snap -on " refers to the way the slot is keyhole shaped so you hear them click onto the string. If there is no click, the fit is too loose or too tight.
    I would expect a junior to need medium fletchings as they use low draw weight and that can lead to poor release causing fishtailing. If the fletchings are too small they tend not to straighten up very well. No harm in trying the 1.5" though.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffretired View Post
    Hi, The nocks you linked to look fine, they are taper fit and glue onto the shafts. The " snap -on " refers to the way the slot is keyhole shaped so you hear them click onto the string. If there is no click, the fit is too loose or too tight.
    I would expect a junior to need medium fletchings as they use low draw weight and that can lead to poor release causing fishtailing. If the fletchings are too small they tend not to straighten up very well. No harm in trying the 1.5" though.
    Thanks, as his technique will need a lot of time, I don't think I'd be able to tell if the fletchings were causing problems or if he was.

Would the EP16 that were on them before be better then? I can order those instead.

One other thing that I thought would be easy, is the string. The current string is falling apart on the end loops. The inner string itself is fine but the serving over is coming apart.

As they are only about £4 for a basic string I was just going to get another. The bog standard Dacron strings seem to come in 48, 50 or 54" variations for these junior bows. The bow is an SF Optimo+ wooden riser with matching SF optimo+ limbs. The limbs say they are 54" limbs. However I don't know if there are different length risers like there are for ILF bows.

Measuring from string groove to string grove on the unstrung bow, gives a measurement of about 51"

The previous string packet does say 54"/12 ply - does this sound correct for the bow?

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 888 Posts
    The bigger fletchings will probably work better.
    As for the string, it will need to be shorter than 51" otherwise it won't pull the limbs together to create the brace height. Simplest way is to measure the one that you have already; probably a 48".

Thanks
    Just bought a shed load of EP16 in a multitude of colours for club to refletch all of our club arrows in preparation for the new beginners season - work really well on the skinny juniors arrows.

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

In the Blue
    Thanks
    I ended up going with those blue nocks, they are a little bit tight on the string but they seem to be shooting OK.

I ended up using shield vanes which also seem to be working well. So all in all, quite happy! And more importantly so is my son!

-->