Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Handicap?

In the Gold
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffretired View Post
    The problem with archery handicaps is, that no one has any idea where anyone else is during the event. Even at the end, no one knows where they have finished. By the time the results are known, the excitement has gone.
    Dont you think thats a problem with most archery competitions?
    Until the very end, no one knows who is where except maybe the top 3 if there is a leader board.
    Infact GNAS ettiquette says its bad form to compare scores.

I've often thought it would be good to have a blackboard next to each boss (like in darts) and chalk up archers scores big enough to read.
    The most exciting experience I've had was when I was doing the scores at a FITA star comp. Every dozen, runners collected slips from the scorers.
    We entered them into the computer which gave a leaders list for the whole field. From dozen to dozen, we could see not only who was winning, but minor battles lower down the pecking order as archers gained and lost points.
    Modern technology should be making this common place with smart phones etc, but I've yet to see it.
    Maybe as head to head makes its presence felt at club level, we'll get more excitement into our sport.
    Side betting and high fives would be good too

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 871 Posts
    Hi Ben,
    Yes, you have a point there. However, on any individual target ,archers have a chance to see who is leading and where they are in the pecking order. Some may not want to show their score pads and others may not feel like asking, but they will be able the guess by the look of the arrows when the scores are being read out. It would be nice to know how things are going, and your ideas make sense on that one.
    One of the things I feel about handicap shoots is so much effort is put in at the end to work out who has won, but the results seem disconnected from the event. It's like having results sent to the individual clubs after the weekend.
    At big competitions, there is a buzz simply because several archers are trying hard to win. At smaller and home club events, sometimes there is a need to interest those who are not in the running for outright medal places. By having a handicap system there is a chance to get everyone excited by displaying the running totals with handicaps taken into account. Even if it is just the individuals on the same target who know how they are doing, that is enough to generate excitement. The final results will be a second layer of interest.
    I like the idea of chalking up running totals. Perhaps that could be copied from the score sheets after each end?? Not too much extra work for one person as it will be done by someone from each target.

In the Gold AIUK subscriber. fbirder's Avatar
    Thanks
    Our club runs a handicap competition throughout the Summer (we call it the Sunburn, to complement the Frostbite). There are seven rounds, one per month from April onwards. Archers can choose any of the Long Metric rounds from LMIV (30 and 40m) to the LMGents (90 and 70m). After the seven rounds the best three scores (after allowances are added) for each archer are summed. We have a winner for each round and an overall winner. Plus a prize for most improved handicap.

It is very popular and I'm sure it's been responsible for us maintaining a healthy number of members.

In the Red
    Thanks
    I would like to see more awards at open shoots for best score on handicap, not as the be all and end all of the day but something to allow someone who is of a lesser ability to turn up knowing they are going to be bottom of the pile but if they have a good day will still get recognition of their efforts.
    I would also like my club to un something like fbirders's comp but that requires the enthusiasm to do so from the top and when someone in those positions is dead against it then it never gets off the ground.
    I sometimes think that we have several clubs running in parallel with those who shoot several times a week and have tight social groups that seem intimidating to newcomers, those who shoot competitively anddont join in anything organised at club level because it takes time and they are busy trying to become world champion and then the junior section who live in their own world even when they are actually too old to be juniors by several decades but dont want to shoot at distances beyond 40 yds because then they might miss the boss and the actual juniors are discouraged from shooting with the adults when they have reached the top of their tree becasue 60 yds isnt a distance for their records to mean anything and progress is thus ignored.
    If your members actually enjoy themselves can I borrow a few of them to show off for my lecture on "it is supposed to be fun"?

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 871 Posts
    Sounds like a heart felt post!
    "Change" can so easily seem like " dissatisfaction" when viewed from the position of the " club's power house. Then the heels dig in.
    Do committee members have a job for life or is there a limited number of years that they can hold office?

In the Gold
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffretired View Post
    Hi Ben,
    Yes, you have a point there. However, on any individual target ,archers have a chance to see who is leading and where they are in the pecking order. Some may not want to show their score pads and others may not feel like asking, but they will be able the guess by the look of the arrows when the scores are being read out. It would be nice to know how things are going, and your ideas make sense on that one.
    One of the things I feel about handicap shoots is so much effort is put in at the end to work out who has won, but the results seem disconnected from the event. It's like having results sent to the individual clubs after the weekend.
    At big competitions, there is a buzz simply because several archers are trying hard to win. At smaller and home club events, sometimes there is a need to interest those who are not in the running for outright medal places. By having a handicap system there is a chance to get everyone excited by displaying the running totals with handicaps taken into account. Even if it is just the individuals on the same target who know how they are doing, that is enough to generate excitement. The final results will be a second layer of interest.
    I like the idea of chalking up running totals. Perhaps that could be copied from the score sheets after each end?? Not too much extra work for one person as it will be done by someone from each target.
    Hey Geoff,
    Surely the answer is simple. Taking your earlier analogy to when you were kids and giving the opponents a head start, if you added in the handicap allowance at the beginning of the scoring, then you'd all be heading for 1440 at the end. The archers with a higher handicap would have a bigger head start but the lower handicap archers would catch them up as the shoot progressed with a photo finish at the end.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast