Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Is Compound real Archery..?

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 906 Posts
    Chrisgas, I agree with what you are saying.
    The different styles of bow make "archery" more interesting.
    Because of the differences we see a wider range of bows, and have more things to talk about and learn about.
    Imagine having 100 tv channels all showing the news and nothing else!! Or 100 sports channels all showing football and the same match.
    The differences add a dimension to our archery that could otherwise become a little stale. We are all different as people and we are all different as archers,too. Having different bows to shoot allows more people to enjoy archery in a way that better suits them.
    Much of the" dislike" of other forms of archery, is, in truth, just friendly banter... that adds to the enjoyment.
    There are some who are set in their ways and that is their choice and I think it is natural; bound to happen. Even that can be a source of interest as we explore why they feel like they do and some of us try to persuade them to be more open minded.
    Look at how many posts there have been on this thread.If everyone shot the same bow style and with the same rules of shooting; threads like this would never happen;that would be a shame I feel.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

Thanks
    Chrisgas, geoffretired - well said gentlemen. I think in truth we all admire anyone who can master his/her chosen hobby/sport. I remember one of the best days shooting I ever had was being out shot by a guy with a flatbow who just effortlessly sailed everything into the kill. Lovely, lovely guy who was modesty personified.
    When you shoot with someone truly special just stand back, smile and admire what natural ability and practice can do. Then look up and say a quiet thanks for having been there that day.
    Noli habere bovis, vir. - Bart

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 906 Posts
    AndyW .Now that is what I call a lovely post.
    I can understand why some folks say compound is not real archery. BUT I feel they don't mean "REAL" in the sense that it is cheating , rather that it is not the same archery as the stuff they see on TV or films where battles are fought with longbows.
    Just about every form of archery that is not done with a simple bow and arrows, has extras that make higher scores easier, or more likely.
    Sights, buttons, stabilisers, scopes, peeps, release aids and straight arrows that match each other all add something to the likelihood of a hit. At the same time they remove something that the longbow archer has to do by a different set of skills and judgement.
    When you shoot with someone truly special
    On a beginners' course I once had a guy who shoot very well indeed right from lesson one. He came back the next week and wanted to try left handed so we let him shoot that way. He was equally good!!! I suggested that shooting right handed might be better as there is always more RH kit available.
    He couldn't make his mind up which to stick to so I asked about his writing hand and he said he was right handed. I suggested he shot right handed for that reason, which I thought was logical in a way. He followed that up with, " But I draw and paint left handed."
    He was truly special, I have yet to see anyone else shoot that well on their first lesson; and then go on to do the same with the other hand.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to geoffretired For This Useful Post:

AndyW (30-03-18)

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213