Thread: Wood arrow assembing

In the White
    Thanks

Wood arrow assembing

So,

I'm just starting out with a bare bow and managing to break a fair few arrows so bought 24 cheap shafts that I've just had a good look at. 5 are pretty much dead straight, another 6 not too bad at all and the rest have a definite bend in them mostly towards one end so my plan is to trim that end to the correct length for me and put the point on the ' bent' end.

The question is then how to I best position the nock? Do I have the bend in or out from the riser - or vertical?

Maybe I should try ' bare shaft' shooting them once they are nocked? They were ordered spined for 45-50 lbs bow and the bow is 45 lbs.

I will spend a few more quid on some ' quality' shafts once the death count goes down...

In the Gold

Thanks
    Bill,

I'll bring you a print of how to assemble wooden arrows on Sunday when we meet. You align the nock perpendicular with the end grain and that sets the direction of the cock fletch. I'll also bring the spine tester so you can check each shaft and maybe get a matched set (although, the way you are going through wooden arrows they might not last long).

BillM
    If you wait long enough, the inevitable will finally happen.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BillM For This Useful Post:

wully (09-03-18)

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Straightening wood shafts is an easy process with or without steam. Without steam you can use the shaft of a screwdriver rubbed along on the convex side of the bend to slightly compress the fibres. Some people use a roller, but the effect is the same. I have straightened hundreds of arrows this way, the benefit of the compression system rather than steam is that there is far less tendency for them to bend again with a humidity change.

In the White
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillM View Post
    (although, the way you are going through wooden arrows they might not last long).

BillM
    Ta! My arrow inventory actually increased by one today - the lawn gave up one of the two arrows it ate. The tip is rusty and the fletches look like some of yours...