Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 'I'm thinking of selling my gear' question

Thanks

The 'I'm thinking of selling my gear' question

Hi all,

It's been a long while since I've frequented this forum and I've returned to get peoples thoughts on a question I'm sure comes up a lot.

So the story goes that I used to be good at archery until a shoulder injury, and reluctant to spend literally thousands of hours on physio and rehab to make my shoulder-blade and rotator cuff talk to eachother again I moved away from the sport. Now the shoulder pretty much works but I'm invested in other things, particularly more physically intense sport (while I'm young and still have the joints for it).

Do I sell the gear though? I have two recurves, two one-piece wood barebows, a compound, all the accessories and gadgets down to arrow pullers, arrow counters and little pewter quiver pins. I consider maybe I should keep just the compound - it's a modest draw weight and obviously a bit easier to pick up again after longer layoffs... however that inevitably means keeping a sight, stabilisers, arrows, quiver... it quickly mounts up.

What do other folk think? Go cold turkey and sell the lot? Or keep one outfit which'll be easy to pick up now and again. I think the difference between this and the usual "I'm thinking of selling my gear..." question is that I'm not giving up the sport out of spite... more.. postponing picking it up again for say 10-15 years time when I'm maybe craving more chilled out hobbies.

Thoughts, ideas, outbursts?

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. bimble's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    archery gear doesn't go off, so there's no reason why you couldn't keep one full set (do you have a favourite?), just in case in a few years you do come back. Saves you having to buy a new set at a later date.
    Knowing is half the battle, the other half is violence

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot. Raven's_Eye's Avatar
    Thanks
    What pewter pins do you have?
    Longbows, the real bows.

Thanks
    If it was me I would recoup what you can from the compound as it will be bottomed out in value in 10 - 15 years - assuming it's fairly recent. If not, as bimble says just hold on to it.
    Noli habere bovis, vir. - Bart

Thanks
    You are considering potentially a significant time away from the sport so downsizing makes a lot of sense.

I would sell the compound (to avoid depreciation) & it's arrows, etc but hold on to any release aid you might have, keep the best ILF recurve riser & sight and sell the rest of the recurve kit because after a long layoff you will probably need to build up poundage again starting with new light limbs & matching arrows.

A barebow and arrows doesn't take up much room and does allow for a bit of casual club or backyard shooting if facilities are available so why not keep one of those too?

Together with a collection of little bits such as a quiver, puller, bracing gauge, tab, the remainder should tuck nearly in a wardrobe out of the way until you come back to the best sport of all.

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Later on

Quote Originally Posted by Yorker View Post
    Hi all,

It's been a long while since I've frequented this forum and I've returned to get peoples thoughts on a question I'm sure comes up a lot.

So the story goes that I used to be good at archery until a shoulder injury, and reluctant to spend literally thousands of hours on physio and rehab to make my shoulder-blade and rotator cuff talk to eachother again I moved away from the sport. Now the shoulder pretty much works but I'm invested in other things, particularly more physically intense sport (while I'm young and still have the joints for it).
    Life does not stop because your joints wear out. You are going to want to do some thing in later life and you can't if you have used up your joints. So don't leave it too long til you come back to archery and don't sell all your gear.
    So what to sell? well if you take a look around there are more old compound archers than there are old recurve archers. There are reasons for that, chiefly because compound requires less practice to keep a good form, there fore less wear and tear on the joints. Sell the recurve stuff.
    just point,pull & click the mouse button

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast