Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New PB Flight Shot, or is it?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Cheers Geoff,
    It's interesting, my mate who almost exclusively shoots warbows from a long draw is really struggling with finding a short draw anchor and manage to whack his bicep with the string when trying out a ~100# @28 Yew flight bow.. he just can't control it yet.
    I didn't want to finish on such a sour note so he had a go with the Osage (about 80# @28") he managed that perfectly but could only manage 324yards I'm sure it's 'cos I have an anchor and am used to loosing from that draw length. I can get it to about 27" then just focus on the tip of the arrow and snatch loose on that last inch (still a bit of a struggle at 80#).
    Dunno what he's doing to whack his bicep ???? (but I think it's character forming )
    Del
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 910 Posts
    Hi Del,
    I wonder if it's to do with the "steepness" of the draw. If you climb to 100 #@24" the weight goes up very rapidly. If you climb up to 100# @ 30" the steepness is more gentle. The longer draw might feel like using a longer level or a lower gear. Or the short draw might feel like the bow is stacking all the time from the start onwards.
    The other thing that strikes me is that at the start of any draw, the muscles doing the work are at a real mechanical disadvantage till the elbow gets further round into line. Some 50# compounds are really hard work to start with, because the weight is high from the beginning and the elbow is way out of line as it has no option when the hands are so close to each other.
    Dunno what he's doing to whack his bicep ???? (but I think it's character forming )
    Perhaps the whacking has caused a large bump to develop and that is easier to hit with the string.heeheeh
    I like the idea that it is character building. Anyone who shoots warbows should be forced to put up with war wounds of all descriptions even if they are self inflicted.
    I saw a photo of an archer on the cover of Quicks catalogue some years ago. It showed a back view and he wore a leather sleeve that covered the whole of the bow arm and bow arm shoulder as far as the neck, I think it was pulled round his chest ,too to form a chest guard; and the back had a belt from the top end of the sleeve, round under his draw arm, possibly extending round to the chest guard at the front.
    A six inch steel ruler stitched in at the right place could serve your friend very well. Perhaps it could be made so it could be easily removed to double up as BH measure,too.( and a third use as a throwing knife to aim at people like me who make silly suggestions.)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    @ Geoff, he's not very receptive to suggestions of upper arm protection.(prob not manly enough )
    I'm sure some practice at 28" draw will stand him in good stead. He's just made a 40# @ 28" Hazel ELB under my supervision, so maybe he will practice (prob' not).
    Mind, to be fair, I've had a nice bruise on my left pap before now overextending to a 32" draw when seriously overbowed (100# elm warbow... mind I did get my first ever over 300 yards).
    I may take a few pounds off the bow as I tune it up to try for max distance. Might have to try it on the shooting machine too.
    Hopefully he'll master it and gain some confidence... he currently approaches it as if being handed a rabid dog to pet
    Del
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 910 Posts
    Hopefully he'll master it and gain some confidence... he currently approaches it as if being handed a rabid dog to pet
    I know that feeling.
    Before I learned to swim, I was terrified of going near the water never mind standing in it up to my ankles/ knees/waist/further than that. Once a bow has made a less than good impression on us, it takes hard work and some success to put things right. Hard work and some success can't come from someone else.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123