Thread: Target dimensions

In the White
    Thanks

Target dimensions

Sorry if this is recorded elsewhere but if so I can't find it. I would like to know the dimensions of targets used for compound competition. There are so many targets it seems that it's really confusing which one is used for which. Specifically I would like to know the ring dimensions of targets used outdoors for 30, 50, 70 and 90 meters. I've read numerous articles where it says things like an 80 cm target is used but sometimes this is 43 cm with n number of ring etc. I've not been shooting long and this is a really confusing aspect of the sport of archery. Certainly something that could be very much simplified for newcomers and spectators alike. If there is a resource that someone could point me to that has these details I would be most grateful, thanks in anticipation.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. bimble's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    the "smaller" compound face is still an 80cm face... it's just missing the outer four rings (black/white), which in turn why it's ACTUAL dimension is 48cm (80cm - two colour zones). But it's still an 80cm face, 8cm ten ring, etc...
    Knowing is half the battle, the other half is violence

In the Gold
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bimble View Post
    the "smaller" compound face is still an 80cm face... it's just missing the outer four rings (black/white), which in turn why it's ACTUAL dimension is 48cm (80cm - two colour zones). But it's still an 80cm face, 8cm ten ring, etc...
    Isnt it missing the outer blue 5 scoring ring too? like the 3 spot indoor faces?
    The big faces are 122cm because thats as close to 4 foot as the metric heads could get, and the old imperial faces were 4 ft
    Likewise, the smaller ones are 3 foot (80cm) and 2 foot for indoors (60 cm)

If the metric heads had been convinced of their system, the faces would be 1m, wouldnt they

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. bimble's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ben tarrow View Post
    Isnt it missing the outer blue 5 scoring ring too? like the 3 spot indoor faces?
    The big faces are 122cm because thats as close to 4 foot as the metric heads could get, and the old imperial faces were 4 ft
    Likewise, the smaller ones are 3 foot (80cm) and 2 foot for indoors (60 cm)

If the metric heads had been convinced of their system, the faces would be 1m, wouldnt they
    Both the 10-6 and 10-5 faces are available and can be used... for example, at the European Outdoor Champs they were using the 10-5 face

I think the fact they are 80cm and not 31.49" shows a certain amount of metricity... though I believe the Americans do have a 90cm face, which at 35.43" is nearly 3 foot across...
    Knowing is half the battle, the other half is violence

In the Gold
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burrows View Post
    Specifically I would like to know the ring dimensions of targets used outdoors for 30, 50, 70 and 90 meters.
    Read under the World Archery Rules >Book 3< Appendix 1.
    In short, 70&90m=122cm face, 50&30m=80cm face. I don't know exactly when faces without the outer rings are used, but I know I shot a WA1440 at 30m on a face without white and black.