Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner tuning help!

In the White
    Thanks
    Thank you all, any information is helpful! I need to get my hands on a bow scale and get someone to measure my draw length accurately. I was thinking about it last night and measured my arrows to be 28", but also remember the archery shop saying that I was holding 27# at full draw which doesn't make much sense at all on 24# limbs, so I clearly need to do a bit more digging.

All the info you have provided is really helpful – thanks –it’s handy to know that if I increase weight it is likely to improve thesituation rather than making it worse, so now I can start looking for my nextpair of limbs, and perhaps I'll see 60 yards this season
    J

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only £1.50 per month. Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SeduLOUs View Post
    Thank you all, any information is helpful! I need to get my hands on a bow scale and get someone to measure my draw length accurately. I was thinking about it last night and measured my arrows to be 28", but also remember the archery shop saying that I was holding 27# at full draw which doesn't make much sense at all on 24# limbs, so I clearly need to do a bit more digging.
    the limbs are rated at 28inches. If you draw more than 28 inches then the draw weight will go up at approximately 2 lb /inch. So if you were holding 27lbs then you were drawing an extra inch and a half, 29 and a half inches.
    just point,pull & click the mouse button

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jerryRTD For This Useful Post:

SeduLOUs (16-04-18)

In the White
    Thanks
    Well I’d assumed that draw length had to be shorter than arrow length but googling suggests not necessarily. Another thing learned today. Looking forward to getting to the club on Wednesday and hoping someone can help me use the bow scale and measure my draw and then I’ll be a step closer to understanding my equipment. My club is really friendly and fun but whenever I ask questions about tuning people just seem to want to say it’s just fun and don’t worry about it. I do understand that, but if my terrible groupings at 50 yards are not just from bad form then that’s something I want to fix, because 60 yards would be even more fun!

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 882 Posts
    Your draw length, according to the AMO standard is defined as the distance between the arrow nock and a point 1.75" in front of the throat of the grip. So, if you had a 30" arrow, according to that standard, your draw length could also be 30", IF that arrow was sticking out 1.75" beyond the throat of the grip when you were at full draw. If you draw that arrow back further,( you could safely draw an extra one inch) your draw length would increase but the arrow stays 30".
    Connected to that, the draw weight @ 28" is measured from the string nock to the point 1.75" in front of the grip.
    As for having fun and not worrying about things; I think that is a bit one sided. There is a lot of fun or satisfaction to be gained by learning new things and improving your shooting. Wanting to improve our shooting can keep us motivated for decades; as that is a never ending goal.

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    By the way, I see you are looking for second hand medium limbs in another thread. I think you should be looking for longs. A 30" dl is too much for most medium length limbs, and if you are still expanding as your form improves, you'll get on better with longs.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Timid Toad For This Useful Post:

SeduLOUs (17-04-18)

In the White
    Thanks
    Thank you both for even more to think about. Hopefully I’ll know my draw length and current holding weight later tomorrow and we can go from there!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast