Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beginner tuning help!

In the White
    Thanks
    I have more info! My holding weight is currently 26# on wound in 28# limbs and my draw length roughly 26-27Ē. Thinking about it I know my draw has shortened as from the beginners course I was drawing down the side of my chin and string touching side of nose but now I anchor with the string pretty much on the centre of my chin. Anyway, point being, my 1816 arrows are too stiff as suspected.

Next question is what arrows to buy... looking at Easton chart if I keep 28Ē length then a T2 group would be appropriate. If Iíve understood correctly I can keep these arrows for a while by shortening them once my weight gets higher. Is this correct? The person watching me reckons I could get away with cutting two inches off my arrows so potentially these could see me up to around 36lb if I cut them to 26Ē if Iíve understood correctly. Is there any disadvantage to having arrows longer than necessary, if the spine is correct?

Thank you all again for taking the time to help me through this, itís quite a steep learning curve!

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only £1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 910 Posts
    I assume the 26# was measured with bow scales and the draw length of 26-27" was measured from the string at the nock to 1.75" beyond the riser.
    That explains the 1816 being too stiff.
    If you get T2 group arrows at 28" that would be better.
    As your draw weight gets higher; is that the result of drawing further or buying stiffer limbs? If you are going to draw further to increase the draw weight, then shortening the arrows can stiffen them to compensate; but don't shorten too much or they could be too short for safety.
    If the draw weight goes up because you buy heavier limbs, then you could shorten them to make them stiffer, or possibly use the 1816 you have at the moment.

In the White
    Thanks
    Thanks again! Yes I’m happy with my anchor etc now and I ‘think’ my form is reasonably good so can’t see my draw getting much longer now - I want to increase weight by changing limbs. I have a bit of money I can spend and have been debating for a while what would give me the best improvement for my money as unfortunately I can’t do everything at once. I’d considered A/C/C arrows to get me out further as I’m comfortable with my draw weight for now but running out of room on my sight. I do want to increase my limb weight further with time so was worried that I’d have to replace the arrows again. Now I understand better how it all works it seems it is time to invest in new arrows now knowing I can shorten them as and when I increase weight but without the pressure of increasing weight faster than I’m comfortable with. Perhaps my current arrows will still be of use to me for indoors when my weight catches up.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 910 Posts
    So, you will probably buy ACC a little too long for now and from T2. They can be shortened as the weight is wound up. If you do get as far as buying heavier limbs later on, the current 1816 may be a good match, so don't shorten them until the time comes for trying them with heavier limbs. If they show too weak with heavier limbs that would be the time to shorten them, if they were stiff but not too far from a match.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to geoffretired For This Useful Post:

SeduLOUs (19-04-18)

In the Blue

Thanks
    What actual length are your arrows now? The groups off the arrow chart work off your actual arrow length, not your calculated draw length.

What distances are you shooting now?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123