Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Sport or Hobby

Thanks
    Sport
    An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Hobby
    An activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.

Well archery has plenty of skill, maybe a bit low on exertion although pulling 144 arrows sure does takes it's toll but its not always (in fact very often) not a competition.

So I'd say it's not that clear - the "hobby" definition fits a little better in this case.

Or both - Maybe it's a Spobby. Or a Hobort.
    Mybo Origin

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. bimble's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernowlad View Post
    Sport
    [FONT=arial]An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
    "for entertainment"...?? what, and no other reason?

Of course, this is all making the assumption that it can only be one or the other for all people... whereas to some it is only a hobby,a way to spend a sunny afternoon once or twice a week with a couple of mates; to others it is very much a sport, which requires much training for competitions and possible hopes & dreams of representing their club, county, country...
    Knowing is half the battle, the other half is violence

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bimble For This Useful Post:

chrisgas (22-05-18)

Thanks
    Then there is the hunting side of Archery, stalking "sport" or tree sitting "ambush"? "Hunting Hobby people" are a danger, I have been caught in the line of fire twice, "accidentally" by the local Spanish "hobby" hunters, fortunately it was with a shotgun at 80 metres, an arrow could have been more deadly I feel.
    [SIGPIC] When the road forks, follow your heart.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567