Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Target to field - who has made the move

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Well said Windfinder.... go primitive, you know you want to.... get back to archery's roots.
    Del
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

Thanks
    Del, your website and web posts have helped me no end over the last few years, cheers
    I originally bought the compound to use when I was (Ahem) between bows I'd built, but the speed of the compound has been really addictive.
    I tried decrowning and linen backing both for the first time on the latest bow but it feels hideously slow. Problem being, if I go much beyond #35 it irritates my elbow, I'm running #60 on the compound barely a twinge..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Windfindergeneral For This Useful Post:

Del the Cat (01-03-19)

Thanks
    Hopefully shooting field next Sunday. Feeling very disillusioned with my target club.

Thanks
    Having been shooting target for a couple of years I've found it very hard to keep motivated not being an overly competitive soul (done one target comp, total yawn), I think it helps if your a perfectionist and you have a drive to beat club records and win comps, at least you then have a tangible target to aim at to keep you going through the mundane practice. Obviously field archery can be taken down the same route, but for me there's a more laid back feel to the field archery game. Then again, maybe the shine will wear off in a year or two

Thanks
    Yep I’m similar and my target club, while friendly enough, completely lacks any sort of encouragement, doesn’t seem to give a stuff about kids (I shoot with my son) and when I do well, seems to take it as an affront.

The field club encourages everyone, is more laid back and just so much more inclusive. Plus the variety is just so must more interesting. I too did a Hereford a while back; 144 arrows which took all day and literally had my son in tears (he was 8 at the time) with frustration. He loves the field stuff.

My mind is made up; no more target archery. Except practice in the garden.

Thanks
    Another fun shoot today. More consistent than last time but less inner “kills.” Loved it.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567