Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overloading limbs ?

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hi
    Yes it represents your situation, drawing to the clicker, but it's not a standard that applies to every other archer, hence the button/throat + 1.75". They used to say to the back of the bow (bit furthest away from you) but with different riser designs that became inconsistent too, hence the seemingly arbitrary 1.75 bit.
    So I guess you are overdrawing your medium limbs a little. But that's said sitting here literally halfway round the world and I haven't seen you shoot. My advice would be this: when you upgrade you limbs next, go to a shop and get properly measured. You'll find there are other advantages to a longer bow. Less finger pinch, better reference points, etc.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

In the Green
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advise !

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 900 Posts
    Just a few thoughts on draw length.
    If you bought some longer arrows, would you change your draw length? My guess is, no. I think you would move the clicker further forwards to account for the extra arrow length. The same sort of thing would happen if you bought heavier points; they tend to be longer, so moving the clicker could be a way of maintaining your natural draw length. But you now have a longer draw length, according to your measuring system.
    I think an archer's draw length is the distance between their bow hand at the grip and the string at full draw. That could be the same on any bow type and with any length arrows that are safely long enough. That is not easy to measure, as you can't hold the tape or ruler while you draw. It is easy enough to calculate using your clicker position and the length of your current arrows. Measure your arrows and then subtract from that length, the distance from the grip to the clicker.
    Once you know that number you can add 1.75" if you ever need to, to get the standard draw length for use with draw weights and how long your bow should be.

In the Gold
    Thanks
    I'm also shooting a 68" bow with about the same draw lenght. Overloading your limbs (aka stacking) depends on the individual limbset. I shot SF Premium limbs, with which felt I was close to stacking them. Switched to W&W Ex power, and the last bit through the clicker feels smoother. But it could be all in my head.
    When you really want to know if your stacking/overloading your limbs, make a drawforce curve: http://www.buildyourownbow.com/how-t...rcedraw-curve/

If yours shoots up sharply towards the end of your draw length you might be stacking them.

In the Green
    Thanks
    Geoff has a point off course.
    The center off the button is straight above the "throat" of the grip. I think most risers are like that.
    If I deduct the clicker to button center distance ( 43 mm) ,from my draw length I would arrive of
    a draw length of 29.9-1.7 = 28.2 "
    That is why I find the defenitions a bit confusing

If I would never have read anything ,being new to archery, and somebody would ask me to give a definition of draw lenght , I would have said:
    Distance to when the clicker go's off, minus distance from clicker to string, when the bow is at rest.
    But that off course varies with brace height...
    I am beginning to think that archery is not a sport, but sorcery

In the Green
    Thanks
    Oh , and thanks for the link Thom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast