Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: How was the bow and arrow invented?

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 916 Posts
    The loose string does mean the bow won't take a bend quite so quickly. After every shot, it would be like unstringing the bow.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffretired View Post
    The loose string does mean the bow won't take a bend quite so quickly. After every shot, it would be like unstringing the bow.
    Yeah, but it's bending the wrong way would weaken it and it would fail prematurely.
    But that's not the point... once you shoot your slack-a-bow as I believe it was called someone would very soon work out that it's better braced.
    They weren't thick and once a basic idea is there it evolves V quickly, what with the daily progress reports and networking* round the campfire
    Del
    *That's where they sit round mending the fishing nets...
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 916 Posts
    Hi Del, I don't understand what you mean about bending the wrong way. All I can imagine is the bow would be less bent at full draw and would relax at the end of the shot.
    I remember as kids finding the unseasoned wood going limp so we shortened the string. Next move after that was to take the string right off and re string it bent back on itself.( like some horsebows)
    I have no doubt they learned quickly; they had to, in all aspects of life.

In the Black
    Thanks
    Bearing in mind it must have followed someone tying a cord of some type between the ends of the same stick , whatever the motvation or thinking behind that is in itself something to ponder.

It may have evolved ( if you like) through the bow powered friction fire lighter type of thing as has been mentioned already or perhaps resulted through some adaptation/progression of some kind of catapult being used to launch arrows or even some attempt to make a musical instrument .... it would probably have been a far better idea than the cello.

And again as has been said there were a few other homonids before homo sapiens so maybe it was not us that invented it. There is even cause to speculate as tohow the bow seems to have originated inseverl different places at the same time ... given the beliefs of some that earth has been visited in the past then perhaps the concept of bow and arrow was a gift.

Which raises the same question I suppose how did my favourite martian come up with the bow and arrow?

In the Red
    Thanks
    already mentioned that copper smelting occurred at the same time in 2 places, Czech republic and Timna in the Sinai desert. The technology went round the world in about 200 years. Now all we have to go in is the archaeological record so we can say when we know stone arrow heads were first used but this doesnt tell us about the development of bows and arrows make entirely from pointy sticks or bamboo but it does stand to reason that other skill would be necessary and they would include the ability to make thread ( assumed from flax in above post) so that can be dated with a time that is an upper limit and that time was within the neolithic period but gives us a window of some 3000 years where we have no direct evidence but plenty of indirect evidence as to how far their technology had progressed. So arrows around some 9-11 thousand years ago but no contemporary evidence of how they were made or what from. 8000 years ago we have evidence of fabric technology that would be useful for string making and making of fishing lines. Many millenia before that we have basket weaving so bendy stick technology existed but no stone arrow heads and bowstrings would presumed to be made of gut so assumption is bow and arrow good for taking birds sitting in trees like we see in jungles of S america and Borneo but no good for bigger or more distant game.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011