Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: How was the bow and arrow invented?

Thanks
    More likely, fire is hot, friction is hot. I wonder if friction can get fire? We've had a few of these leaves that make us feel euphoric, let's have a competition. Who can set fire to my breech clout?

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot. Raven's_Eye's Avatar
    Thanks
    I remember reading (though not done mu own research to verify), is that every continent in the world as developed it's own style of bow, apart from Australia. So however the bow and arrow was invented may not have been the same the world over.
    Longbows, the real bows.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 913 Posts
    Hi,Raven,s eye
    My guess is that the invention could have been triggered by something that stone age people did frequently. Something basic, that was almost universal. Swinging a stick, for no real reason, gives the person a feeling of power in their arm. I think that could lead to stones on sticks as an upgrade to stones in the hand as a hammer. Swiniging a stick and throwing it would seem like a step forwards. Then the spear could evolve.
    If they needed to have bent sticks in their everyday lives, I think the bow could have stemmed from that. For example, if they needed a couple of bent sticks, to join to make a ring shape for the rim of a bag or net or similar, then an accidental event could have triggered the bow and arrow.

In the Red
    Thanks
    bow drills certainly create a lot of heat so may well have spurred a change to a known process for lighting fires as there are many different ways of rubbing sticks to create friction and heat. I have never got 2 sticks to smoulder by the method that appear in old cartoons of scouts but have started fires using a shaft or drill and soem old softwood or dry material. Also lit fires with sparks but that is best using a steel rather than 2 stones. Ancient miners spent a lot of time and energy digging shafts to create bell pits to mine the layer of flint they wanted for tools, digging through other layers and ignoring them. There are a number of relict shafts in the downs near eastbourne that in neolithic times whould have been at least 3 km in from the shore line so it means that they knew about the local geology and could calculate bedding direction and so forth even if they didnt ahve a name for the chalk or knew how or why it was there. It takes a lot of effort to dig a 50m shaft and when they could walk a few miles to access the same amterial at beach level why did they do it? How did they know that Grimes Graves in Norfolk was in the same rock type? coincidental digging? I dont think so because if you look at the archaeology of Timna in the Sinai the mining was cyclic and the people who did the mining and smelting went elsewhere for a year or two before coming back and continuing their efforts because they need to carry their food with them.
    It them means that discovery is not just about cause and effect but sometimes a deliberate experimenting. Cooking pots were already in existence so effects of heat on rock and other materials must have been a constant source for experiment. Charcoal for example was needed to get the heat to smelt ores to get at the metals. So, you need to know how to make charcoal and know that it will produce more heat than wood.
    Now how about weapons technology. Hitting somehting with a stone or club will impart more energy than punching or kicking it so that leads to weighted clubs and axes on handles to use that extra energy. the you have weapons and tools that can store energy like bows and spring traps. also hybrids like slingshots, spear launchers and so forth. I believe that people sat down and talked about such things and planned things, same as they would plan a hunt driving quarry towards a river, ravine, pit, wicker stockade or net to trap them. language made it possible to discuss failure and modify things. painting and drawing recognisable images made it possible to plan, demonstrate and leave messages for others even without writing so i think that bows were driven by not only observation but a desire to gain an advantage so when my ancient man Thog got slapped by a whippy branch he and his mates were already looking for something to help them hunt so poor Thog didnt have to get hit by a branch a dozen times before someone twigged (!) what possibilites lay there.

My cousin is an exploration geologist and the first thing he does is look for signs of ancient mining activty when prospecting. Types of vegetation can be determined by geology (and the flavour of whisky is certanly more influenced by rock type for the water supply than almost anything else, which makes a mockery of the traditional highland/lowland division of malts). So ancient man wouldnt waste his time chopping down every tree he could see if he knew that the tree type wasnt going to yield decent fertile soil once it had gone and agriculture was by now the means of survival, you stayed where you were and planned for the future if possible. You could then live in larger groups without dimishing the resources available locally and plan a bit more. You co-operated with your neighbors because now you both had new weapons that made fighting deadly rather than just a punch up.
    Differetn bow styles? just look at the different arrow types from the same era, I cant imagine that an arrow used fro shooting birds with a flint tip that is8mm across would be launched from the same bow as one of the large broadhead or separately barbed arrows and I doubt if bird shooting was confined to boys though that is possible that is how they trained.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to little-else For This Useful Post:

Kernowlad (17-09-18)

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 913 Posts
    Little-Else, I think there is a difference between accidentally finding something for the first time, and deliberately looking for more of the same afterwards, when you have a reason to look. Bashing stones together, is something I could see happening when they crush things. Seeing some stones make flakes that they found to be sharp, would be a great incentive to look for different stones to see which was best at making sharp edged flakes.
    Why they didn't use flint from sea level and go digging instead seems strange to us. But, they had a reason, I guess. Perhaps they looked for buried flint thinking that was special and that sea level flint was sub standard. Or did sea level flint not look like underground flint?

Thanks
    Cracking post there little else! I find that kind of stuff fascinating.

We live by the sea in Cornwall - the coastline is riddled with old mines, some ancient and some under the sea bed. The engineering efforts are mind boggling.

Anyone know how the compound bow came about? While most bows are similar in principle (limbs/body, string), compounds are quite different.
    Mybo Origin

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast