Thread: WNS Carbon/Foam Limbs

In the Gold
    Thanks

WNS Carbon/Foam Limbs

Yesterday I fitted a pair of the new WNS Carbon/Foam limbs I have purchased. They were fitted on my Fiberbow 6.9 riser.

To set-up the bow I checked the limbs 'natural tiller' in the following manner.

Using a feeler gauge I wound the limb bolts in until the underside of the lower collar contacted the feeler gauge. I did this because the tiller bolt does not have a 'bottoming' stop.

I fitted both limbs and braced the bow. There was a variation in the measurements between string and limbs at the limb exit points from the riser. So I adjusted the lower limb bolt to get a '0' tiller.

I unbraced the bow and reversed the limbs (top in lower - lower in top). When I re-braced the bow and checked the tiller I got the following measurements. Top distance 204mm. Lower measurement 190mm. A difference of 14 mm. Which if I am correct is a natural tiller of 7mm.

When I have done this with previous limbs I only got variations of 3 - 4 mm. Is this 7mm acceptable or should I return the limbs as faulty. I have read that over 6mm is not acceptable.

What do you suggest as it appears to me that the top limb is much stiffer than the lower limb.

Thanks
    So you set tiller to zero, reversed the limbs and got a tiller of 14?
    2*limb-tiller = 0 - 14 = -14
    The limbs are tillered to -7?

I'm not sure the amount is important, 7mm doesn't sound all that excessive to me, but I'm willing to take direction from any bowyers who chip in.
    It is reversed. Could be the limbs are labelled wrongly. Is there a visible difference between top and bottom on these limbs - decals, printing on the back? If not, I'd probably just correct the labels, so long as there don't appear to be any other problems...
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

In the Gold
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    So you set tiller to zero, reversed the limbs and got a tiller of 14?
    2*limb-tiller = 0 - 14 = -14
    The limbs are tillered to -7?

I'm not sure the amount is important, 7mm doesn't sound all that excessive to me, but I'm willing to take direction from any bowyers who chip in.
    It is reversed. Could be the limbs are labelled wrongly. Is there a visible difference between top and bottom on these limbs - decals, printing on the back? If not, I'd probably just correct the labels, so long as there don't appear to be any other problems...
    Hello Rik
    I checked the labels to see if they had the same serial number - they have. One limb has a slightly thicker butt than the other, but I discounted that as it would be within the pocket of the riser. I was under the impression that limbs were now manufactured to be equal tiller - much easier for the manufacturing process, so it should not make any difference which was labelled which. I should say that when I set-up my bow I set the initial tiller between '0' and the natural tiller (in this case 7mm). So I would probably set it to 4mm positive. But my concern is the amount of 'natural tiller'.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by albatross View Post
    Hello Rik
    I checked the labels to see if they had the same serial number - they have. One limb has a slightly thicker butt than the other, but I discounted that as it would be within the pocket of the riser. I was under the impression that limbs were now manufactured to be equal tiller - much easier for the manufacturing process, so it should not make any difference which was labelled which. I should say that when I set-up my bow I set the initial tiller between '0' and the natural tiller (in this case 7mm). So I would probably set it to 4mm positive. But my concern is the amount of 'natural tiller'.
    My understanding is that mass produced limbs are produced in singles then paired up before being labelled. So all it takes is for a pair to get swapped, to produce this. They won't be trying to get an exact match, just within a certain tolerance.

But reversed limbs can happen even with a made to order kind of situation - I saw a thread about a pair of Border limbs which were supplied reversed. They apologised, re-labelled and re-finished them.
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

In the Gold
    Thanks
    I am going to contact the supplier and see what they suggest. Another option is to redo the same exercise with the limbs reversed and see what the result is.