Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Centre Shot and String Picture

Thanks
    More difficult to set it at full draw, though. Not just the "full draw" bit...
    At bh, you've got the bulk of the shaft angled off to one side, to exaggerate the setting and make it easier to see. Without that pointer, you're talking about trying to see something rather small.
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

In the Gold
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. It was only a 'what if' question anyway. As they say. If you don't ask questions you won't get any answers!

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 916 Posts
    Hi Rik, Certainly more difficult, but not so difficult as to prevent someone from trying. At full draw I see my string beside the sight when I am on aim. The string is beside my sight at bh ,too; which is the point of the exercise in a way. If I draw to a different place on my face, I could see the string beside the riser and would also see a gap between string and sight.And, I would be able to see the arrow clear of the string. After adjusting the button I would eventually see the arrow beside the string; and the string beside the riser; and the sight would still be clear of the string. When I shoot like that I will need to adjust the sight till they land where I aim.... nothing new there.
    I like "what if" questions. They usually show that the person asking has an interest in knowing the bigger picture and more often than not they challenge convention; not a bad thing. When the answer has been found or reached, there is a good chance that someone, if not more than one, will know more about that particular aspect.

Thanks
    "what if" is generally a good question (well apart from the "what if I set my trousers on fire" sort ).
    I'm usually inclined to say "try it" - most times it won't lead to any great insight, but that doesn't mean it never will.
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 916 Posts
    Yes, I agree with that. "What if" is often worth trying, without ever asking anyone else what they think. Often it leads nowhere, but it frequently shows up a flaw in the earlier thinking that can be changed for the better. "What if" sometimes springs from more than just curiosity; it stems from an idea that we imagine is better than the convention. That is when learning can be more likely to occur. We can learn that the new is better; or that the new is flawed, and finding out where the flaw lies can bring a better understanding.
    I like the idea of not being afraid to try a different approach, in matters that are not dangerous.
    I made a stick on rest for my compound.It had a blade set in plastic which stuck down onto the arrow shelf as opposed to fixing to the side, which is the norm. It cost the price of a blade plus 1 sq inch of polymorph. I did it because I felt compound rests were getting unnecessarily expensive and complicated.
    A stick on rest works on recurve; the Hoyt Super Pro, with no moving parts or adjustments.
    I turned that 90 degrees, and it worked. With a bit more patience I could have made it more long lasting.( the base was the plastic and I made the blade hot enough at the base end to melt itself into the plastic. After a while it came loose.)

In the Gold
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffretired View Post
    Hi Rik, Certainly more difficult, but not so difficult as to prevent someone from trying. At full draw I see my string beside the sight when I am on aim. The string is beside my sight at bh ,too; which is the point of the exercise in a way. If I draw to a different place on my face, I could see the string beside the riser and would also see a gap between string and sight.And, I would be able to see the arrow clear of the string. After adjusting the button I would eventually see the arrow beside the string; and the string beside the riser; and the sight would still be clear of the string.
    But (unless I've misunderstood the concept) if the OP aligns his bowstring with the riser bow window near the pressure button, he'd NEVER get the arrow in line with the bowstring because that would require the arrow to be positioned where the riser is.
    Also, surely at full draw, the bowstring is a thick fuzzy line in the archers view, so much harder to align the arrow with accurately for the purposes of setup.
    Also, if the pressure button was set up so the arrow at bh was 2mm left of centershot, the point of the arrow would be, maybe 6mm left of center. At full draw the same arrow point is now close to the pressure button, so is only 2mm left of center, so much more difficult to judge.
    Whilst I'm always in favour of asking "why" and questioning the established thinking, this idea of setting centershot at full draw, for me, just goes in the box marked "crackers"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast