Thread: Roxburgh Border Bow

In the Green
    Thanks

Roxburgh Border Bow

Hi,
    My archery club recently asked me to look after a Border bow that's been sat in our storage for as long as anyone can remember, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it. I saw there was a Border Archery forum here, so I thought this would be the place to ask.

It's a one-piece 66", 35#@28" left-handed wooden recurve - called "Roxburgh". I've uploaded a photo of the inscription on the inside of the bow, below.

I've also added some pictures of the bow at the bottom of the post. As you can see, it hasn't been very well looked-after, and I was also wondering what I can do to bring it back to it's former glory. What I've noticed so far is:
    there seems to be a lot of holes drilled into the riser-area (which I'm pretty sure aren't original),
    the finish on the front and back is rather worn,
    there's a lot of scuffs in the woodwork,
    the string has seen better days, and needs replacing with a new one (although I don't know the ideal stringing material, number of strands, or bracing height),
    and there's a plastic super rest stuck to it (which looks rather out of place and I wondered if the bow was designed to be shot off-the-shelf).

I've risked shooting it once - the draw weight is a bit heavy for me at the moment - but it was still a perfectly smooth and pleasant bow to shoot. It's clearly been carefully and lovingly manufactured, so it's a shame to see that go to waste.

Pictures of the bow

Thanks!
    - James.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    This is one of those weird bows that I've never seen an advert/catalogue page/spec. for & think it may be a name given to another model
    just to refresh it on the market. e.g. it may have been a "Waverley" or "Victory" - i'm not sure because i don't have one of this model! ;-)
    & have only seen pics of one other & it was a shorter 64" model.

Any chance of pics of: the bow unstrung (full length), a nock overlay.

It looks like it has been (badly) painted/grained - most likely it is a light wood under that drab - most likely "sterculia".
    I've used paint-stripper & steel wool before to clean this kind of mess off bows, but you could use more mechanical methods e.g.
    sand it off - but go careful against the edges of the glass.

Yours made in '73, should take a 63" Dacron/B50 string - 10-12 strands, intended to be shot off a rest (but you could level up the window with leather
    & add a slim arrow-pass).

You could join this group (i'm the admin) & post some pics: https://www.facebook.com/groups/459436941092746/
    ArcheryDuns

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berny For This Useful Post:

JamesP (03-11-18)

In the Green
    Thanks
    Thanks!
    Wow, I never thought it could be as old as 1973. I can't find any images of the Waverly to compare it to, but I've found one of the 1974 Victory on (what I suspect is your) Pinterest. It looks very similar, especially in the very distinctive shape of the limbs and the back of the riser which form a nearly straight line over the centre third of the bow even when strung. However, the Victory doesn't seem to have the distinctive cut-out under the front of the grip - although that could just be the angle of the photo. I suspect (based on the image) that they're not quite the same bow, but they are very clearly adaptations on the same basic design at the very least.
    Here's the view of the bow unstrung (it looks a lot lighter than it is because I was stood in front of the window)

And here's the view of the bottom nock overlay. This is a much darker coloured wood than that of the rest of the bow, and I can't confirm for definite what the centre layer is, but I suspect from it's uniformity that it's man-made, so either glass-fibre like is on the rest of the bow, or a plastic.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Here's a Waverley leaflet - sadly i don't have a Waverley :-(

Some Border Bows here.
    There's a 63" Victory at 7 (pic is replicated to my Pinterest).

White in tip overlays either glass or micarta (resin soaked cloth).

In one of your first pics it looked like the wood had been over-painted/varnished, your newer pics don't seem to show that.
    ArcheryDuns