Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Almost finished powered shooting machine..

Thanks
    SORRY! ... I thought you raised the issue of 'suitability'
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy! View Post
    One of the biggest ######## terms I've seen in modern times is "Shootability".
    Sounds good. I have even seen people online echoing the term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy! View Post
    ...and I will achieve ignoring it with very little effort on my part.
    not sure what I said to deserve that response. I shall leave this thread now so I don't insult anyone else.
    An archers only opponent is his mind.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KidCurry View Post
    SORRY! ... I thought you raised the issue of 'suitability'

not sure what I said to deserve that response. I shall leave this thread now so I don't insult anyone else.
    Hey! I only meant that discussing the definition of terms is pointless. I have to deal with too much pointlessness at work, so if it's in one spot where I can avoid it, I will absolutely do that.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 920 Posts
    Hey! I only meant that discussing the definition of terms is pointless
    I am not sure that I agree with that.
    Discussing what is meant by certain terms can be very useful.
    Bringing up the idea of "Forgiveness" in archery can help others to understand what is real and what is fake.
    I have really enjoyed reading the " meaty bits" of this thread.( shame about the the unkind bits)
    I have learned a bit more about archery by following it.
    Your approach to archery is quite different from mine. You have a background that helps you to explain things in ways that draw me into the topics and clarify things that I was unsure about. That is a powerful asset.
    KidCurry has similar abilities and his posts are also worth reading.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    The entire idea of science is that it takes into account the tendencies of humans to be lead by all of our cognitive biases. Archery is one big confirmation bias trap, helped by marketing, pop culture that's been fed to us by every depiction of archery we've ever seen and halo effect.

A shooting machine can be used for many things. Demonstrating that people will not believe something that has happened right in front of them is another fascinating aspect of how misinformation penetrates the online archery community.

I know of one demonstration where a compound in a shooting machine had a range of arrow spines put through it. Higher and lower than the recommended spine rating.

All the arrows of the same spine rating grouped nicely in similar sized small groups. That's to say for example that the six 400's grouped nicely together. The six 470's grouped nicely together and the six 380's grouped nicely together.

Someone approached the operator of the hooter shooter and said that it was not possible for this to happen.

This is the level of stupidity that exists. Even when logical simple physics says that it should happen exactly like this, some clown will ignore evidence.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 920 Posts
    Heehee, yes, I can see all of that happening.
    Someone approached the operator of the hooter shooter and said that it was not possible for this to happen.
    I can see how that could be a real annoyance for the operator.
    And yet, I have heard people say, "That's not possible", soon after they have watched something happen.
    Sometimes they use the wrong word simply because it is the first word that springs to mind.
    With a few seconds spent thinking of what to say, first, it could become, "How was that possible?" They are so surprised at the result because they didn't understand how it could happen.
    " How did that happen?" becomes a show of interest in finding out something they don't understand, yet.
    Magicians make things happen that seem impossible; fascinating to watch, though.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567