Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AGB - One member one vote

Thanks
    Voted, although I'm a little disappointed that I had to find out about this from word of mouth. It's an issue that I've not been happy about for years.
    Where are my dancing penguins? I was promised penguins ............

In the Gold
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dvd8n View Post
    Voted, although I'm a little disappointed that I had to find out about this from word of mouth. It's an issue that I've not been happy about for years.
    I posted this info after receiving it by email from AGB.
    The email was sent to club secretaries.

I am astonished to read the part that says they would have liked to take it to regional committees first. Surely these are the very people who might potentially have a vested interest in preventing one member one vote?
    Its universal suffrage all over again. Ask the holders of power if they want to redistribute that power.

Please spread this information to any and all your archery friends and lets get as many votes as possible so there is no question as to whether its wanted or not.

Of course, ultimately, every member should be given a vote on this, not have it decided by a show of hands at the next AGM

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ben tarrow For This Useful Post:

dvd8n (06-12-18)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ben tarrow View Post
    I posted this info after receiving it by email from AGB.
    The email was sent to club secretaries.

I am astonished to read the part that says they would have liked to take it to regional committees first. Surely these are the very people who might potentially have a vested interest in preventing one member one vote?
    Its universal suffrage all over again. Ask the holders of power if they want to redistribute that power.

Please spread this information to any and all your archery friends and lets get as many votes as possible so there is no question as to whether its wanted or not.

Of course, ultimately, every member should be given a vote on this, not have it decided by a show of hands at the next AGM
    Make sure your club secretary votes then as the club wants them to vote - even if it is a split vote :-) it's not just that clubs vote for their members without consulting them, quite often the votes are handed over to a proxy who is attending the meeting and will cast your vote for you if a poll is called.
    Last edited by mk1; 06-12-18 at 08:50 PM. Reason: the word act changed to cast
    Its the unknown that makes life so rich. Paul Arden

In the Gold
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1 View Post
    Make sure your club secretary votes then as the club wants them to vote - even if it is a split vote :-) it's not just that clubs vote for their members without consulting them, quite often the votes are handed over to a proxy who is attending the meeting and will cast your vote for you if a poll is called.
    firstly, as a club secretary it must be very difficult to vote how your club wants. Explaining the issue (because AGB never give enough copies of the paperwork to share out) to them all, then polling all your members. I suspect that many club secretaries probably just vote in whatever way they think is best for their members.

secondly, I think its disgraceful that the membership, either individually or as a club, dont generally get their votes considered at all, unless those present at the meeting decide that they should. Most votes are taken by a show of hands from those at the meeting. How is that democracy?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ben tarrow View Post
    firstly, as a club secretary it must be very difficult to vote how your club wants. Explaining the issue (because AGB never give enough copies of the paperwork to share out) to them all, then polling all your members. I suspect that many club secretaries probably just vote in whatever way they think is best for their members.

secondly, I think its disgraceful that the membership, either individually or as a club, dont generally get their votes considered at all, unless those present at the meeting decide that they should. Most votes are taken by a show of hands from those at the meeting. How is that democracy?
    I think only about one AGM in the last eight years has been poll free - so I'll challenge your "most" but I take your point. Generally if those in the room think the resolutions are non-contentious and therefore reaonable then they won't call for a poll.

In Scotland - where one person one vote has been in for a long time your vote counts whether you send in a proxy or are present at the meeting. The only faff is having to deal individully with a proxy form so I hope AGB find some easy method to help folks deliver their votes.
    Its the unknown that makes life so rich. Paul Arden

In the Red
    Thanks
    Show of hands at the AGM is a fair way of dealing with any business at the AGM but all of the stuff on the order papers circulated beforehand should be open to be voted on by the membership. Sending out the paperwork with the previous journal is the easiest way of facilitating this, other organisations do this and all shareholders in PLC's get a voting form sent to them so nothing new.
    Counties and regions should be an extra thing with specific purposes, not a barrier or funnel through which one has to struggle to get anywhere. I dont even believe they should have voting rights or representation on the management committee, their input should be via subcommittees that deal with specific matters such as discipline or facilities planning.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast