Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: AGB - One member one vote

In the Gold
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffretired View Post
    Ben, Karl, dvd8n,
    There is some evidence on here that there are some counties/regions doing a good job. I am in an area where I do not notice any benefits; like some of you.
    But my question remains, what would you suggest as a better way? Are you saying, do away with them altogether? As a result would we have lower fees to pay?
    Or perhaps the system is fine, it just needs a boost in some areas.
    But whether your county/region is doing a fantastic job or not, I bet 90% of the members of your club get no benefit from being a member of these societies whatsoever, so why are they paying for them?

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 920 Posts
    I guess most pay because they don't know any better.
    I do not dispute that some feel the system is not working in their favour. My question isn't a loaded one; just curious as to what could replace it or possibly just get rid of it all together and adjust what was happening in places where it was already working.

Thanks
    To be honest I'm not really sure what the responsibilities of the areas / counties are.

I don't enter many competitions but the few that I do haven't been affected by the absence of the West of Scotland.

The SAA I hear from a lot, but the West of Scotland? Nope.
    Where are my dancing penguins? I was promised penguins ............

In the Red
    Thanks
    The problme with the lack of activity or dissemination of information by counties and regions has been discussed elsewhere but moving to OMOV and a suitably worded agenda item for the AGM cna force the issue whereas at present that will never happen. Some peopel arwe known as "clubbable" and that usually makes them resistant to any change as being in charge is what they like regardless of the uselessness of the institute they are in charge of. A prime example is some duffer who is captain of the cricket team, he cant bat or bowl, his fielding is lmited to a couple of positions but still demands to play as he is captain and woe betide anyone who dissents or shows him up by being good.
    Now in my previous life I put myself up for membership of the National Rifle Association management committee. Now the voting method there allows people vote tactically with multiple votes and when you get on to the committess you find that the people you ahve deposed are still there on some sub-committee or get co-opted and the real business is then done in the masonic meeting held immediately before your committee meeting so your input and attepts at bringing about change are thwarted. Yes, i know this is only one exampl but it is a national governing body and despite the governing by caucus is more democratic than AGB the problem is that the organisation becomes irrelevant both to its members and to the wider world. the Army and Govt gave up listening to the NRA years ago but in generations before they played a very lareg part in the training and doctrine of 2 world wars. the change from the LE Mk4 to the SLR was not taken up by the gang bangers at Bisley who just wanted to do precision target shooting rather than use current military arms and develop skill at arms in all aspects of shooting..
    we will suffer the samw fate if we are not careful with the sole aim of AGB being to provide resources to get a person to the olympics rather than the development of archery as a whole. The new journal has an article about changes to have a go days that force cubs to ask permission beforehand and pass on the data rergading the number of participants etc. well, it has nothing to do with them unless they wnat to organise the events and co-ordinate evreything from their officers. I bet the next thing uis the threat of you cnat dfo it unless you foloow our rules because we will void your insurance if you dont obey. well, I wold like to see the policy schedule to see what it is we are bound by as I dotn necessarily belive that the policy says everything we are told is taboo really is against the terms of the policy.
    they should ASK, not dictate.
    Now when we get to OMOV I bet it wont be that simple, there will still be block voting and executive decisions to stop the membership challenging the right for counties and regions to pick our pockets. Yes, i agree there are some that do a good job and some that dotn really appear on the radar at all but it should be our choice and not our so called representatives telling us this is how it has always been so this is how it will always be.
    We are already funding 14 staff slaries that ahve nothing to do with the general membership as the funding for their posts has disappeared. AGB management should either make them redundant and give up its aspirations and pretences or ask the members whetehr we want to continue to try and get representatives to the olympics or not via their system. I would rather fund a dozen aspiring archrs and 2 coaches than 14 coaches and no-one to coach

In the Gold
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffretired View Post
    I guess most pay because they don't know any better.
    I do not dispute that some feel the system is not working in their favour. My question isn't a loaded one; just curious as to what could replace it or possibly just get rid of it all together and adjust what was happening in places where it was already working.
    Please dont misunderstand my motives here.
    I'm not trying to do away with counties and regions. For some they serve an important role. I just think its time we revisited the role that they play in the archery lives of our grass roots archers. Of course the county and region supporters will argue that these organisations are important and that everyone should be a member, because thats how they are funding themselves. Look at the hoo-haa that regions kicked up when AGB wanted to remove payment for doing an administrative job that the regions werent actually doing any more.
    Counties and regions need to seriously ask themselves what they are doing and who they are doing it for and adjust their reason for being accordingly

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 920 Posts
    Hi Ben, I did half misunderstand your thinking. I can see now that it is possible for counties to change what they do rather than change who is doing what.
    My county ended up with no one offering to be chairman, and only scraped through at an EGM, otherwise it would have ceased" trading".
    I agree that revisiting the role/ purpose is a good idea. The world is changing and so is archery. The way we operate at the club where I shoot is nothing like the way it operated just 15 years ago.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345