Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Cheaper compound spares

In the Gold
    Thanks
    I tend to draw mostly with index finger and thumb. Almost impossible for the release to go off. Then the middle and ring fingers curl a bit on the grip. Once I'm happy with the sight position, flex them in and the hook releases. I'm not keen on the twist in the D loop induced by having the release at an angle but keeping it horizontal can cause the tilting action to push away from my face and throw the arrow left.

I've yet to try the 'index finger relaxes' technique or the expansion technique which sounds like it needs a really stable form to enable the fine setting of the half moon. Maybe I need more releases so I can set them all up differently for different methods. Muahahahahaha.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 942 Posts
    My experience with the hinge was that it gave me a sense of calm. I can't quite understand that fully, because I was seriously put off by the release activating while drawing. I know that was my fault for pulling wrongly from the start,but the early releases shocked me so much I decided to leave well alone. On the shots I made after reaching my anchor points, the calm happened during the aiming; it was like being more patient and not rushing.

In the Gold
    Thanks
    FYI the suppliers replied to my email saying that I could use whatever string material I wanted. Hmmph. Now I have to think about the cost of BCY-X spools.

In the Green
    Thanks
    Also worth noting that X has been discontinued, replaced by X99 (different grade of dyneema, they don’t play together)...

Functionally either 452x or x99 will be fine, the X denotes a blend including Vectran that makes it a non-stretch material, so it doesn’t work well necessarily with some recurves (if you plan on using it for both)..

I have made compound strings from angel majesty before, it makes a nice string, really nice to shoot, but isn’t as stable under the constant tension, and not as easily adjusted as a recurve

T

In the Gold
    Thanks
    I really need to get my #### in gear with sorting a string jig 😁

In the Green
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chuffalump View Post
    I really need to get my #### in gear with sorting a string jig [emoji16]
    Also note for compound strings they really do need pre-tensioning in the build process (unless you like seeing them “settle” for 2 or 3 months)

A cheap option is a sash clamp for woodwork, with a couple of shackles and quick links to stretch them.. also a set of scales that can read up to/over 300 pounds.. it’s how I did my first couple of sets and works fine, just a bit more effort :-D

There’s a good thread on the US archery forum on building your own jig/stretcher for not much in the way of £££

T

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast