Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Cheaper compound spares

Thanks
    The downside of a derailment (apart from the obvious) is that you can really see some of the cost savings on a budget bow. The cams on the Static, as I suspected, don't have bearings. They have what is probably a ptfe/plastic bush. Works but the fit is terrible. The cams wobbled so much, when not under tension, that it probably autocorrects cam lean. When the limbs are wound up fully, you can feel the drag of the bush on the draw cycle.

I would say that this is the major downside of this bow. The limbs are Gordon glass and the riser is sturdy if unpolished in appearance compared to top end stuff. The limb pockets are roughly finished and the limb bolts tend to unscrew about 1/12 of a turn by the end of a session. None of which stops it being fun to shoot. First Robin Hood on Sunday. One XX75 driven five inches into the back end of another. Admittedly, it was only short range as I was testing my stamina with the limbs cranked in but.....

Anyway, it may be retiring soon. I found a deal on a posher item that I couldn't turn down. Waiting......

2. The Following User Says Thank You to chuffalump For This Useful Post:

flyingwatchmaker01 (27-05-19)

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 946 Posts
    The joys of shooting compound! Shoot one; and know for yourself. I describe them as "Sublime power."
    Dismantling is very useful if you want to be independent. A bow press is less shocking than a derail method; many compounds can be pressed by simple homemade presses.
    Some require a bit of head scratching to come up with a safe design for the parts that press against the limbs. Really long limb bolts allow all tension to be removed without the bow exploding; Oh for the good old days of common sense.
    You seem to be enjoying your current bow; the next one promises even more.

Thanks
    I tried unwinding the limb bolts but no joy. It's possible that the bolts might just have been long enough but the holes through the riser wouldn't allow room for the pivoting movement.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 946 Posts
    Yes, I know the feeling. It is deliberate, I feel. At the price of some risers/bows, a pivoting axle in the riser( like there used to be) to allow safe access to the bits and bobs should not be too much to ask. The axle can be steel which is better than ally for keeping a decent thread.
    My first compound is still working( 1991). I drilled out the threaded bolt holes and put long bolts right through the shoes and put nuts on the end. The bolts don't jam in the holes when unwinding.
    It has small wheels as opposed to cams. Small wheels have very little tendency to lean. Small wheels (or cams) give long enough draws so long as the ATA is long enough. Short bows do have disadvantages.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789