Thread: Which arrows for longbow?

In the White
    Thanks

Which arrows for longbow?

Iím a recurve archer of 9 months, just got hold of a longbow that I want to try in the spry. No idea which wooden arrows to buy need some advice. My draw length is 30.5 inches, the bow is traditional without a shelf, 45lb @28 and I want to target shoot only. Not sure of spine thickness, which type of point or fletching to use? Any ideas to get me going??

Thanks
    Welcome to the stick and string club - shooting the only proper bow since before Agincourt

As you are fairly new to archery and very new to longbow then I would suggest a ready made set, preferably from an archery store.

On your bow a set of 5/16” Port Ortford Cedar shafted arrows, 31” long (you don’t want to overdraw and shoot through your bow hand), 100 grain brass target points, either 2.5” or 3” feather fletchings {shield or parabolic}, bog standard plastic glue-on nocks.

Spine selection isn’t quite as exact a science in longbow as it is in recurve or compund - for a 45# LB try a set of 30-35 spine shafts - I am shooting 35-40 through my 50# Gary Evans and they are sweet.

There are a huge selection of sets on a certain auction website, I’ve seen a lot and shot a few, but you are honestly better off with a set from an archery store - timber quality makes a huge difference in shootability plus most of those sets are fitted with field points and your club may not approve of those beating up their bosses. Please DO NOT buy bamboo arrows even for practice.

Not sure if you are at a club or how many longbow archers they have but we are a fairly longbow heavy club and as such there are always a lot of arrow sets kicking around to try so if you can get hold of a set or two prior to ordering some then it’s a big benefit.

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

In the White
    Thanks
    Great advice, I will buy from a dealer, cant wait for the sun to start shining and giving this strange and simple stick a go. Will actually be really nice not to have a state of the art metal recurve with a billion different things to bolt on, adjust and fret about!

Thanks
    There are other advantages to being a longbow archer - no more aching back & legs from dragging a huge backpack or case from the car park to the shooting line as all your accessories should fit into your quiver.

At the end of a session take down is so quick you are guaranteed to be first into the clubhouse to get a a comfy seat near the bar

All misses can be attributed to the wind even on still days.

Quaffing of ale is seldom frowned upon at a longbow only meeting whereas at a recurve comp it will get you bounced out in very short order

You are going to have an epic summer with your stick and string - enjoy !!

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !